:angry: May the 'Hunting Gods' put forth major bad "joo-joo" on who ever stole my camera out of Unit 9 this past week! May they not draw a single tag for many years to come, May they shoot crooked arrows, may bad luck follow them like the stench of their dirty rotten thievery!

Sorry everyone, just really ticked off! I know it's a chance you take when putting cameras up, but I like to believe people are decent. I had the camera on a trick tank way out of the way, it was getting hammered so I thought it would be fun to see what was coming in. I have an archery tag in 9, I've been up there 5 times to scout so I wanted to start getting some elk on the camera. <_< Oh well, chalk one up for the decency of mankind....

Ilene

:unsure: huhhhh......No

Okay maybe I deserved it :blink:

Get ready to rumble. Everybody knows everything in unit 9. Used to be that it would take guys years to figure stuff out. Now everybody has a quad and/or a guide. Guides and clients are everywhere. there is no piece of hidden water anywhere that won't be competed for. I have known people to haul water up to their own created water hole/wallow and had to fend people off of it! You probably know this.

Rumble with the moving herds and have the time of your life, or rumble with the humans at the water holes. This pre-season camera theft is only the beginning of the water hole wars.

Congrats on a unit 9 archery elk tag! I hope you kill the elk of your life.

Mike

Ditto what Mike said. I have not had an archery tag in 9 since '95, but even then there were conflicts at the water holes that were not on the map. Sure was more fun to chase the bugles than sit for hours up a tree.

Probably best not to put a camera on a water hole as it will be visited many times before the season. Try a trail, secure it, camo it, and get a no-flash model. But it is aggrivating when people steal things, locked or not. Not a good statement about the character of our fellow "sportsmen"

RR

I just had a very expensive homebrew camera (Sony p-41) stolen off of a trail intersection. I had it hooked to the tree with a python lock with u-bolts. Whoever stole it, had to have seen it and then made a special trip back with large wire cutters to get that think off the tree. 2 weeks prior I had gotten pictures of the first guy in 4 years at that spot. I didn't listen to my good judgement telling me to take it off the tree.

Over the years I've learned to NEVER put my cameras at water holes. I've had 5 cameras stolen in all.

:unsure: huhhhh......No

Okay maybe I deserved it :blink:

I was just wondering if they had cut the lock off, that is why I asked. I have been locking mine since day one and haven't lost one yet, but there is that chance that somebody will make a long trip back in to cut off my locks. David

Whoever stole it, had to have seen it and then made a special trip back with large wire cutters to get that think off the tree. 2 weeks prior I had gotten pictures of the first guy in 4 years at that spot. I didn't listen to my good judgement telling me to take it off the tree.

Looks like you have a prime suspect.

i saw a guy at the I10-baseline overpass sellin' used trailcameras. said they had photos of britney spears on em. he might have yours. Lark.

I don't know if it helps but I engrave stolen from and my name and phone number all over the outside on every side and on the inside hoping that someone wont steal it because it will be very hard to claim as their own without someone knowing they are a thief. Even their scumbag buddies wont respect them after that. I am hoping this will keep the honest people honest. I also lock them but if someone wanted it bad enough they will get it.

if i put mine on water which i do often i put them out on sunday and try to pick up friday night or saturday morning. theives suck. you know where the elk will be anyways, just follow the bugles.

Bummer man. I haven't lost one yet, but I figure it's not a matter of if, but when. I use a heavy chain on mine, so I figure that if they can't steal it, they will destroy it. I hope that your luck improves.

Mark

Dang them! :angry: I hate thieves! :angry: <_<

I carve my name and initials all over my cameras as well. I carve it in deep and all over on every side! Haven't hade one stolen yet. But I don't put them in easy places either.

Lance

That sucks! I hate getting stuff ripped off. I always say that the guy i catch stealing from me is going to pay for all the times Ive been ripped off. I just dont understand the thinking behind it. If I come up on a trailcam, or something like a open car window with a CD case sitting on the seat, the thought of "I should take that" doesnt even come to mind. I just dont understand it. :angry: