Matapuercos

Brand new hunter

Thanks for the all the advise. I have another question though. Should I glass for deer in the shadowy slopes or the slopes where the sun is hitting? I know it's easier to see them with the sun behind you but if they're hiding from the sun then they will be on the opposite side of the ridge. Do they like the heat in November or do they still like to avoid it?

In the morning start with east and south east facing slopes that catch the low morning light. They like to warm up a little then move off to bed. Through mid day they could be anywhere. Ive seen them tucked up into thick shadows hunkered down and ive seen them up and moving at noon. Just keep looking. Train yourself to look for pieces of deer. Coues deer will often crawl up I side low growing junipers or lay down at the backside of a tree up against a rock, almost like a litte tree-cave if you know what I mean. With the branches they can be hard to spot. I usually always see the ears of a bedded deer first. Then once you are sure you are looking at a deer, it can be tough to determine if its antlers or just branches you are seeing.

Get big glasses even if you have to rent them or borrow them. At least 12x, 15x would be better. And get a thick confy buttpad to sit on. Itll keep you comfy and warm. Colsd Ground will suck the body heat right out of you in November.

• Like 1

Train yourself to look for pieces of deer. Coues deer will often crawl up I side low growing junipers or lay down at the backside of a tree up against a rock, almost like a litte tree-cave if you know what I mean. With the branches they can be hard to spot. I usually always see the ears of a bedded deer first. Then once you are sure you are looking at a deer, it can be tough to determine if its antlers or just branches you are seeing.

^^^ This ^^^ I learned to really take my time around trees. I've found coues under trees that I had passed 4-5 times before I caught movement of an ear. Told myself to slow down and focus more. I've found a lot more deer that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the all the advise. I have another question though. Should I glass for deer in the shadowy slopes or the slopes where the sun is hitting? I know it's easier to see them with the sun behind you but if they're hiding from the sun then they will be on the opposite side of the ridge. Do they like the heat in November or do they still like to avoid it?

nov 6 is still pretty warm. i have not hunted down there that time yet. climb a mountain you have seen deer or deer sign on or near. the more you glass the more you will see.

OZ-- Were you 1C4?? The A-10 is the best, bar none, CAS platform in inventory. I do say that with respect to the AC-130, which excels in precision but didn't have the UMPH of the bombs available from an A-10. Lucky to have worked extensively with both in my time.

Oh no. I was smart enough to join the army.lol

Ha! Same although I spent most of my time working with AF assets. CO FSO for nearly 5 years in 173rd and then 1/75. Finished with command now and waiting for next promotion list to come out....

Hey all,

I'm still doing research for my hunt in November. I'm trying to decide what ammo to get for my savage axis in 30-06. Roninflag recommended HSM Berger but I haven't been able to find it locally in Tucson. What other ammo do the members here recommend. Should I go with 150 or 165 grain for whitetail in 34A? I don't reload yet so it has to be factory ammo.

i shoot 150 Noslers in my Tikka 30-6, I have a 270 Tikka as well that shoots the 130 Noslers. My Tikka's love the Noslers, but each gun is different. its a bit of a hit on the pocket, but if you have the time and cash, trying several different factory loads out of your rifle will pay off later. You will find out what your rifle likes 150's are plenty of bullet for the deer out here. Give you plenty of range as well.

Hey all,

I'm still doing research for my hunt in November. I'm trying to decide what ammo to get for my savage axis in 30-06. Roninflag recommended HSM Berger but I haven't been able to find it locally in Tucson. What other ammo do the members here recommend. Should I go with 150 or 165 grain for whitetail in 34A? I don't reload yet so it has to be factory ammo.

better think about stocking up now if you're gonna get factory ammo. It'll disappear soon, and you're gonna have to be happy with 180 grain.

Mata- 168 gr combined technology (winchester) ; or 150 gr combined technology. HSM 168 or 150. the sportsmans warehouse i was at this morning had the hsm 168, and win 168. ron

HSM ammo is not at the bottom of the price range. Also There is no way to tell what factory ammo will shoot a factory rifle. i sent you a PM. i would use lighter 150 to 168 bullets for coues. buy a couple boxes that you have available and try them. coues are generally shot at longer ranges., so decent accuracy is an advantage. when you have been scouting have they been relatively close?

Well the one I saw was about 180 yards. I actually didn't see it until I spooked it out when I walked down to the ridge I was scouting.

Will a 150 grain round have considerably more distance than a 165 out of a 22" barrel, or will the difference be minimal?

Well the one I saw was about 180 yards. I actually didn't see it until I spooked it out when I walked down to the ridge I was scouting.

Will a 150 grain round have considerably more distance than a 165 out of a 22" barrel, or will the difference be minimal?

the difference is minimal. the 30-06 is a very powerful round. plenty of power with virtually any 30-06 hunting round. accuracy harder to come by.