Matapuercos

Brand new hunter

How funny. I was doing a home inspection in Maricopa the other day and heard some fighter jets flying by. Looked up and there were four A10's flying by. I tried getting a picture. Didn't turn out real well but you can definitely tell they are A10's.

post-1717-0-19809400-1440079787_thumb.jpg

OZ-- Were you 1C4?? The A-10 is the best, bar none, CAS platform in inventory. I do say that with respect to the AC-130, which excels in precision but didn't have the UMPH of the bombs available from an A-10. Lucky to have worked extensively with both in my time.

Man bunch of Airmen around here! Thanks to all for serving, and bringing up many of my favorite all time Aircraft. F15 and A10 are my 1&2 and in no particular order.

I hunt that unit the Oct hunt. I am not sure when your hunt starts, but I will try to relay what I can to you after my hunt. What we saw or did not...

Thank you for your service, Good luck and welcome to the site

Thank you every one for all the support and greetings. Lamrith, thanks for the info offer, good luck in October. My hunt is November 6th. Let's see how that goes.

I went to the range today and was having issues sighting in my scope. I was shooting 30-06 165 grain core-lokt and 165 grain hornady superperformance. The remington seemed to shoot a little low at 25 and the hornady a little high. At 50 I got the same results. I guess my question should be which round should I stick. If it's high at 25, what will do at 100?

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the good wishes. Edge I'm a jet engine mechanic. But SP is a good guess. Gardner Canyon will be my first scouting area. Can't wait!

What jet did you work on? I was in the AF and was a avionics tech on the F111. Great memories. Welcome to the site.

good luck Pigkiller! Us zoomies must stick together. Linguist, aircrew RC135 here.

OZ-- Were you 1C4?? The A-10 is the best, bar none, CAS platform in inventory. I do say that with respect to the AC-130, which excels in precision but didn't have the UMPH of the bombs available from an A-10. Lucky to have worked extensively with both in my time.

Det 15 25 WX Sqdn

26 AD NORAD Luke AFB

We may have to start our own wingnut hunt thread.

Mocha1545 summed it up . This is the best site for hunting. I think the sheer number of people in AZ. helps quite a bit. All the boards and sites up here in the north Just don't have the population. And up north here they don't understand the art of glassing and tripods or they could kill some bigger animals.................BOB!

Thank you every one for all the support and greetings. Lamrith, thanks for the info offer, good luck in October. My hunt is November 6th. Let's see how that goes.

I went to the range today and was having issues sighting in my scope. I was shooting 30-06 165 grain core-lokt and 165 grain hornady superperformance. The remington seemed to shoot a little low at 25 and the hornady a little high. At 50 I got the same results. I guess my question should be which round should I stick. If it's high at 25, what will do at 100?

Mine is Oct 23-Oct29 think. I fly home the 1st. Not sure what Net access I will have till I get back up here. It is all new to me too, so may not have a ton of info, but share what I can!

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the disparity between the two types of ammo, very common. Move the target to 100 yards and see which bullets group tighter. Then move to 200 yards and make that your zero.

After that if you can go to 300 do it just to see how low it is, probably 4".

Then shoot a shot at 50 and one at 100 and note where it is.

Which scope do you have?

David,

My scouting today produced mixed results. I scouted an area for about 3 hours. After I had enough I decided to walked down to the area I was scouting to see if I could find a better place to glass from. On my way back I spooked a deer on the south facing slope of the ridge I was standing on which is the same ridge I was glassing to 5 min ago. The deer looked small and it was brown with a white behind. Was this a whitetail? My gps indicated I was at almost 6,000 feet. Do muleys get this high up?

Would it be worth it for me to go back to the same spot in a couple of weeks even if I already spooked this guy? Is it common knowledge that where there is one there are more?

Yup it was a whitetail . Come on guys hook him up. If he had a 22 23 tag I would. Do it

Mata- most coues are glassed up. it is a technique that has proven itself. also most are shot at longer than average ranges so a 300 yard zero with an accurate rifle is helpful. you are lucky to be able to scout. i heading to my unit without scouting. but i have hunted it before. ron