Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullet

Blaze Orange...yes or no?

Hey guys, there is no good reason to make fun of someone asking questions. I'm talking mainly of the comment about the guy asking if there will still be bugling on the Nov hunt. This guy is obviously excited about the hunt and came here to try and learn and gain knowledge about their hunt. Just because someone hasn't had the awesome experience of hunting elk yet doesn't give us the right to laugh and poke fun at him. He has just as much right to that tag as any of us and I am much happier that he is spending his time trying to learn to be a hunter instead of becoming an anti. As for the orange, I like it just being a personal choice. I love being in full camo and have never had an issue. I would be a heck of a lot more scared riding a horse during a cow hunt!!

• Like 3

Quoting Silver Bullet post #19

"BTW...my son and I both hunt with Swarovski binocs on tripods, and can spot an orange hat over a mile away. Most often we spot bulls while glassing from a long distance (after a long hike...not from a road) then decide whether or not to close the gap"

I always wore orange when rifle hunting. Never hunted out of state and it would not matter if I did, I would wear it no matter where I was rifle hunting. I would do it even more so today as there my be a buck hidden from me, close to where I am, I can't see. The guy 1000 yards away with the long range rifle might be able to see him perfectly but not me in camo. Everybody has to make their decision to wear it or not, I don't think it should be a law.

I wear orange because I have very little faith in others. This group on CW is, generally speaking, pretty well versed in hunting. I cannot say the same for everyone stomping around in the woods. It boils down to risk vs reward. How much benefit do you get from wearing all camo on a rifle hunt? Not much. I also like that others have a better idea of where I am so they don't shoot toward me. A still camo hunter is difficult to see if not moving.

I wear hunter orange on my rifle hunts even if its not required. When I was in my early 20s I drew a high country rifle tag, an old road used as a fire cut followed the base of the mountain which was about 3/4 of a mile up from the valley floor. I used this to access the remote basins above, I was about 400 yards above the fire break when I hear a woman screaming big buck, long story short I was the big buck, and lucky for me her husband was within a few feet of her and slapped the gun straight to the ground before she fired the rifle. Camo clothing dont help much on a rifle hunt anyway. Animals see movement before color.

No orange for me.

• Like 1

I was glassing a group of does across a small canyon when I see a puff of smoke, then another. Then I see a man smoking followed by his kid with a rifle. They spooked the does and they took off running towards me. The kid raises his rifle and points it right at me. I reached in my pack, grabbed my blaze orange vest and started waiving it. Kid continued to look at me through his scope. Once dad saw me he grabbed kid and went back over the hill. I was pissed and hiked to go find them and give them a piece of my mind. They were also on private property. I think that orange vest saved my butt. I wear a vest now if I know other hunters are around.

I carry a orange ball cap but usually it is in my bag. I wear it when im working with my partner to signal and let each other know where we are.

I don't think it should be required, but I choose to wear orange, especially on public land hunts. You never know who else is out there and I want to make sure I'm visible to other hunters. It was required in Colorado where I first started hunting deer and elk and I've worn it ever since.

Don't care for orange while hunting - last thing I need is the "moron" hunter seeing my orange and decide hey lets go "chat " with him.

prefer they do not see me and just keep on walkin

I do carry "Pink" tape for the packout or emergencies if needed