Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Washing hunting packs

So, after about 10 years and 20 or so animal pack outs, i figure it is time to wash my pack. It smells awful when it gets wet. I guess an accumulation of blood from bears, elk, deer, turkeys, javelina and antelope will do that. I have an Eberlestock Dragonfly, so it's a really big, bulky pack and won't fit in the washer. What do all of you guys do to wash your packs? It needs a serious cleaning, not just a quick scrub. Any ideas are geeatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I believe I read on the badlands website- they ask that you wash a pack before sending it in for repairs. It said to hose it down to try and remove any dirt or Debris off or out of the pack and then soak it in the tub with laundry softener. No soap.

I tried it and I thought it worked well.

^ yup and ^^ yup, obviously let it air dry after a tub soaking. I just ran my hands all through mine while it was in the tub and red and brown dirt came out from everywhere.

I fill up my bathtub, pour in some sent free laundry detergent and hand wash mine about once a year. It turns the bathtub a pretty nasty brownish red color, which my wife really likes NOT. After I get it clean and rinsed I take care to reshape it and hang it to dry. This process work pretty well for me.

I take mine to a laundry matt with industrial machines. I've never thought about the bathtub. Great idea!

• Like 1

Car wash and scrub in some detergent. Hang it on the mat hook and spray away. Let it dry and then use scentless deodorant after it dry's.

Sounds like i'll be filling up the bathtub. Thanks for the input. Update. I'd say it was about time. Yuck. The smell coming out is terrible

post-63-0-70571900-1440716290_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I use a big plastic storage bin, fill it up with some water and scent free laundry detergent. I let it soak for a bit and then I give it a light scrub all over. After that, I give it a good rinse with the hose. I let it air dry outside and its good as new!!!

• Like 1

Sounds like i'll be filling up the bathtub. Thanks for the input. Update. I'd say it was about time. Yuck. The smell coming out is terrible

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Whoa!!! You ain't lying! That pack was way over due for a wash!!!!

I had a pretty nasty dark ring around my tub when I got done with mine. I'll use the plastic tote idea next time as someone mentioned above.

• Like 1