Sign in to follow this  
Tunachaser

"God Gave Us Nails" - A January Spot and Stalk Coues Deer Story

Hey Guys,

So I know this is 8 month's late but I still wanted to share it with you all. What you see below is laid out kind of funny. There is a link to the online magazine I wrote my story for, so if you have time and want to read the whole epic 3 week adventure of a lifetime, Please! click on the link and enjoy the story. BUT! If you don't have time to read the whole giant story, I beg you to please please please just read the excerpt I copied into this post. It is well worth your time I promise. Copied in is the last days stalk as well as the lessons I learned (and reinforced) on this hunt. So please read them, even if you are just a picture looker. =)

Here is the link to the magazine: https://www.joomag.com/magazine/mag/0654901001441927963/p58

Here is the part you have to read if you want to look at this post. ;)

The Final Stalk:

The next morning, Bennett, Davis, my dad, and I all got on the same hill where my dad had watched “Nails” the day before. We glassed hard, but couldn't find the buck. We panned our binos to the country where the other big buck had been seen. We saw some nice deer, but nothing my dad or brothers wanted to stalk. But I had one deer on my mind and I wasn’t going to even consider drawing back on any other, no matter how big. At 10:30 AM, my dad and I went back to the canyon where we believed “Nails” was living and started glassing again. I moved my glasses over to the cliff where the buck was hanging out the day before, and only 300-yards away, in the EXACT spot, “Nails” was standing with a doe. I don’t know where they came from, but it didn’t matter. Again, the buck was just below a cliff, well within bow range. I lost control of my cool and began shaking violently. It was go time! After a series of silly mistakes like forgetting my rangefinder and sneaky feet, I was finally on my way to make the short stalk.

One hundred yards from the cliff, I slipped off my boots and went into stealth mode. I was so excited that I almost forgot to nock an arrow again. As I approached the final 10-yards, it began to sink in. The slab of rock God had given me to stalk down was deadly silent. “Nails” was going to be in the open. Three weeks of torture trying to find and refind and refind this buck was about to come down to one last shot. I peeked over the edge and saw the buck broadside in the open looking down the hill. My heart almost came out of my throat. The shaking returned and I almost couldn’t get an accurate range. Finally, my crosshair hit his body; the angle-compensating rangefinder read back 24-yards. I didn’t believe the reading; “Nails” was straight below, but looked so far! I took a second reading; 25-yards. I still didn’t believe it, so I made the worst decision ever. I drew back and decided to shoot for 35-yards. My finger found the trigger, and I touched it off. I almost dropped to the ground as I saw the arrow that should have been my last, fly right over his back. I should have trusted the rangefinder! However, by the grace of God, “Nails” didn’t even flinch. It was at this moment when it really occurred to me that I am nothing by myself. All the practice in the world, all the skills anyone could ever attain—I couldn’t imagine an easier shot—and God made it clear that it was fully up to him whether I would kill this deer or not. I knocked another arrow and put my 20-yard pin low on his chest. Again, my finger somehow made it to the trigger, and I squeezed it off. Perfect! The buck did the classic whitetail kick and exploded down the hill with blood pouring out of the bottom of his chest!

Thirty yards later, the buck tipped over backwards. I almost dropped my bow. I fell down on the ground and began to sob. Never in my life had I ever put so much energy and emotion into one particular animal! With it being a Coues Whitetail—my all-time favorite—with a bow, I couldn’t control myself. It made it so much more special to be able to do it with my three best hunting partners in the world watching from just a few hundred yards away. In the background of my own crying, I could hear Bennett and Davis cheering, and my dad crying as well. It was one of those moments where words can’t quite explain. I laid there for 15-minutes, pretty much unable to do anything. When I sort of came back, I made a call to Theo, the amazing girl who had put up with my insanity for the past three-weeks. Through the sniffling, I left her a message saying that “Nails” was dead. God had given us Nails!

Finally, we regrouped and headed down a little chute to get down to the buck. I was humbled as we maneuvered through the Sheep-like country that “Nails” called home. I knew where he was lying, but I wanted to follow the blood trail. I knew he bled a lot, since I had seen the blood pouring out of him as he ran, but it was incredibly difficult to follow in the chest high grass! We thanked the Lord for allowing “Nails” to die within eye-sight. At last, we walked up on the buck that over the past three weeks we had grown so close with. It was a sobering feeling to take the life of such an amazing animal. We all sat down and thanked God for his incredible blessings and for his unrelenting love for us as his children. After pictures and quartering him out, my prayers for a heavy pack out were answered. “Nails” was coming home to Flagstaff!

Lessons Learned and Reinforced

· I see so many people write things like, "Now he's all mine." Well, that’s not true for me. "Nails" is our buck. I cannot believe how blessed I am to have such an amazing Coues Deer team, and I know I don't deserve it. They all forgot about their own tags, and came to help me accomplish the seemingly impossible. But WE did it! WE killed a Coues Deer with a bow! And WE did it because of HIM. We know that we are nothing without God. He made it all possible. HE gave us bodies to be able to hike far, and hunt these ghosts in the purest way possible (spot and stalk), HE gave us skills to be able to shoot our bows, to be quiet when close, and to glass for hours on end. HE gave us passion to chase such incredible animals. HE gave us everything, and I am completely humbled by his goodness.

· Score isn’t important. Unfortunately, I made score a big deal with “Nails” before killing him. I thought and talked about it constantly. I would add these stupid numbers up in my head over and over until I was a wreck. Looking back, I was greedy! I wanted to kill this deer so I could boast that I had killed a Boone and Crocket buck with a bow. I did think he would break 110-inches. Honestly, God humbled me. Not only was “Nails” quite a bit younger than we thought, but also quite a bit smaller than I thought. The night before we killed him, God put him in a fight to break off at least three inches of antler. Broken, the buck scores 97-inches. God wouldn’t even let me have him be 100-inches!” And now, I am absolutely 100% okay with that. I have made it right in my mind that score doesn’t matter. It was the hunt of a lifetime, and to me, Nails is the buck of a lifetime. The song, “How Deep the Fathers Love for us” rings constantly in my head. “I will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection.” It is almost comical to me that even though I know that the only thing worth boasting for in life is the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for you and me on the cross, my sinful nature wants to boast about such a small thing as killing a big deer.

· From early on, I knew I wanted to name this buck “Nails.” It just sounds bad to the bone! And he definitely lived up to his name, but the parallels that come from that name are just amazing. I named this story, “God Gave us Nails” because I know that it was nothing of my own doing that allowed us to bring “Nails” home. But when I began to think about what that statement actually meant, it brought me chills. And I will do my best to explain what I am thinking. We are all sinners, and to a perfect God, we can’t even come close. Our punishment is eternal separation from this perfect God. Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned, and fall short of the Glory of God.” But! It is not God’s desire for us to be eternally separated from him! Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the Gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus.” This is the good news! God’s desire is for us to be with him forever in paradise! How is this possible? Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” God wants us with him forever, but our sin is too great. We are unable to be in the presence of a Perfect and Holy God while our sin runs rampant and unforgiven. It is because of this that God sent Jesus to earth. He came to earth becoming fully man, but remaining fully God. His purpose was to die. As God, he could not die for sinners, but as a man he could. Jesus came to earth, and was killed by the people he came to save. They PINNED him to a tree (cross) because the message of hope that he brought, challenged them to change their lifestyle. They crucified my Jesus because they were unwilling to change. But that was his mission. Jesus’ purpose was to die for us. To die for me, and to die for you. Because it was OUR sins that held him on that cross. It was not however Jesus’ death that has brought us life. It is difficult to die for something you believe in, but there are people who will. Humans will give up their lives for something or someone they care about. But NO ONE except for Jesus Christ has conquered that death. And it was the conquering of death that has brought us life!! Isaiah 53:5 says, “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” We are forgiven and we are justified to stand in heaven one day because of Jesus’ death on the cross, and resurrection from the dead. He only asks for this, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9. And again in Romans 10:13, “For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” God gave us Nails. I can’t help but think about the Nails that pierced my savior’s wrists and feet. The nails that held him on that cross until our sins were forgiven. The greatest gift that has ever been given in all of eternity was the gift of Jesus Christ. We owe our lives to him. It is the least we can do, and yet it is all that he asks.

I know I would not have appreciated this buck as much as I do now, if I would have killed him the first or second week. Sometimes it takes pain, struggle and hardships to realize that what God gives us is more important or meaningful than we could have previously imagined. The story of “Nails” for me helped me realize this. Even though hunting is important to me, and I am so passionate about it, it is not why God made me. He might have made me a hunter, but hunting is not my purpose on this earth. My purpose is to bring God glory by enjoying everything about his character, and to do everything I can to help build his eternal kingdom while on this earth.

Thanks so much for reading everyone! If you would like to talk to me in private or other than this forum, I would be happy to! Send me a PM and I would love to talk. Here are a few pictures of my buck. I hope you enjoyed it. =)

Shelton

post-11719-0-84647100-1442963027_thumb.jpgpost-11719-0-75121800-1442963096_thumb.jpgpost-11719-0-80401200-1442963112_thumb.jpgpost-11719-0-79421000-1442963116.jpgpost-11719-0-32070500-1442963117_thumb.jpgpost-11719-0-95331500-1442963253_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Beautiful buck, beautiful sentiment, beautiful scriptures.

Thanks for sharing everything. God REWARDED you with a great buck, not punished you by breaking off 3".

• Like 3

Beautiful buck, beautiful sentiment, beautiful scriptures.

Thanks for sharing everything. God REWARDED you with a great buck, not punished you by breaking off 3".

Yeah not so sure I agree with God "punishing" someone by breaking off 3'' of antler on a deer they're gonna end up killing.

Cool buck though, congrats.

• Like 2

And it starts!!!!! Nice deer, hope it ain't a nasty thread like most others. I love a good ole chit storm but you seem wholesome. Not sure bout the rich kid comment? But then I don't know much. Congrats on a good deer, love for The Lord, and the mag article.

• Like 2

Man, with the noise coming out of all the bible thumping i'm not sure how that deer didn't spook?

• Like 5

Man, with all noise coming out of all the bible thumping i'm not sure how that deer didn't spook?

stay classy