Sign in to follow this  
Physch

Two-way Radios

I was wondering if any of you have used two-way radios that you would recommend? Any limitations?

Have been researching but curious about in the field, actual use.

Thank you

Thank you, Adicted.

Which one do you have 650, 650t, or 655t?

Also had any issues with them sharing positions, etc?

Garmin Rino 120 for me and my kids. We usually don't use the radios but every hour we will listen for five minutes to see if we got one down. Easy to poll locations if good satellite signal. The other thing is my sister-in-law bought two Motorola radios that you can program to the same frequency so the wife can have one in camp. The main problem limiting distance is terrain.

• Like 2

Ham radio. Licensing is easy and cheap and you can find cheap radios from like 60 bucks on boefang to 200 on yeasu ft 60.

• Like 2

Bao Feng had a high rating. Has anyone used these?

There a quife a few users in east valley within the ham clubs. There was a guy that sood and programmed the radios, I looked up rf gear 2 go. Not sure if he is still doing it. I use the ft 60.

Been using the: Baofeng UV5R Radios since May. Verdict is still out, seems most of the problems are operator error. Plus you better have a degree in something radio related to be able to program them, luckily I have a friend who has that degree program mine.

Rino radios are basically the same as the mot or mid's. They won't usually work canyon to canyon type of landscape. They are awesomme but have their limitations and are not ham type readios.

Me and my hunting partners use them all the time and they've increased our success rate considerably. We use the neoprene ear buds. Deer and javelina hunting especially, we have notched double kills several times, just call the other guy when animals are found and help each other with the location or stalk.

Just have Motorola models, but work great.

Sorry if this is a basic question, but does ham radio get better service from canyon to canyon(or when not in line of sight)? I hunt areas that tend to be fairly steep and there are times that normal walkies do not work very well.

Also, I have not used Ham radios before, do they tend to give a lot of feedback or is it clear when talking? (Sound similar to regular two-way radio?)

Been using the: Baofeng UV5R Radios since May. Verdict is still out, seems most of the problems are operator error. Plus you better have a degree in something radio related to be able to program them, luckily I have a friend who has that degree program mine.

I've programmed some of the UV5R and GT3 Radios. There is some software you can use that really helps to simplify it. Great little radios if you get the right antenna on them. I ordered custom tuned antennas for mine and we are talking at distances around 2-3 miles in the woods and longer in open rolling hills a la 36b.

• Like 1

I have the Garmin 650 as do my dad and brother and we try to use them to communicate when out hunting. They are nice but my experience is the radio function doesn't work that great. The range is pretty poor especially when the terrain is anything but flat.