Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

270 wsm to 300 wsm

Anyone know of a good smith that can change barrels and rechamber a Win Mod 70 from 270 wsm to 300 wsm? This gun shoots ok but not great. Seems I have heard similar issues as well with this caliber. Go up or down in bullet grains doesn't seem to help. Thought my best bet would maybe be changing calibers. I literally can shoot 3 rounds at best and it starts throwing rounds. It heats up super quick and I understand that a hot barrel can be less accurate but this is ridiculous. Its 3/4 in accurate first 2 shots, after that no less then 2 inchs(100 yards). Sometimes worse. I've had other factory rifles(various) get real hot and still shoot way better then this gun. Just alil frustrated. maybe my expectations are to high. Thoughts??

.270 WSM is not a round you send a lot of lead down range with. It is a hunting cartride. 2 shots in .75" is a good hunting load. Keep it for hunting, and build a dedicated long range shooting rig. .300 WSM won't be much better unless you go with a heavier barrel.

If you still want to rechamber, try Phoenix Custom Rifles. They just completed a laser beam .300 RUM for me. And did a 6.5 SLR earlier this year.

• Like 1

only .270 wsm i've ever tinkerd with was extremely accurate with all weights. it was a tikka. hot barrels can be hard to deal with. sounds to me like it's shoots fairly good till the barrel gets hot. might check your action screws, trigger pull, lock time. etc. lotsa variables to take into account. you can get a new rifle for what a good barrel costs to have installed. personally, i never got the whole short mag deal. i kinda like the .270 wsm, because it is a real hot rod and shoots a fair bit faster than a .270 win. none of the other ones made any sense. "they're just like a regular magnum, only less!!" the .300 is a little better than an '06, but you can do a lot more with a .300 win mag or weatherby or rum. same with the 7mm wsm. there are other 7mm's that have a lot more goin' for em. i think the .284 win was way before it's time and would love to have a good bolt rifle in that caliber. but the 6.5-284 doesn't appeal to me. why not get a .264 win with a little quick twist in the barrel and use the high bc bullets in it? anyway, i don't see a .300 wsm as being much of an improvement. Lark.

Looking back, I wish I had choose a different caliber for the purpose of shooting more often.I was looking at a lil bit faster, flatter shooting rifile for dual deer(mostly muley) and elk gun. I agree, I don't think its a caliber you shoot a lot with. I like the ballistics and its versatility for game animals but I think I would of been better off with a more common round like a 300 win mag or something. As far as Tikkas go, I had one in .223 and it was laser beam accurate too. Based on past trials and theorys, a short fat case generally produces good ballistics and accuracy. These to me though feel short for what they could/should be. I'll do some more research and see what route I want to take if any.

The "WSM" or "RSAUM" or other similar rounds lean towards the short & fat craze. Supposed to be more consistent and efficient powder column, reducing throat erosion, while using similar powder charges and getting about the same velocities as the full length magnums.

I have thought about a 7RSAUM or WSM in a lightweight mountain rifle, and think they would be great for hunting. But not so much for LR high volume shooting. If you want a good hunting round, and a decent life long range round, rebarrel to the 6.5 4S (based off the 7WSM case). Great velocity, mildish recoil, great BC bullets available, better barrel life than a .270WSM, 7WSM or .300WSM. Would work wonders on any game including elk with the right bullet and shot placement. Look at the 140 HVLDs and the 160 Matrix VLD.

I've kinda considered one of the savage long range hunters or something like it. Longer tapered barrel, but not heavy barrel, good trigger, good accuracy(so i've heard and read), muzzle break for reduced recoil(nice for longer shooting sessions at the range). I don't want a heavy barrel, had one before, never again for hunting. I like my current setup on this rifle minus the problems or the things i've encountered I just don't like. Like I said, I think my expectations are different from what I got. Its a good gun, I've just found myself wanting different things from it.

I would look for a bedding problem first. My 270 wsm wouldn't shoot much under 2" at 100 yds with the factory remington stock. Put a hogue pillar bedded stock on, and it groups around 1/2" at 100. I will usually put 60 rounds through it in around 2 hrs. and it still shoots around 1/2".

I would look for a bedding problem first. My 270 wsm wouldn't shoot much under 2" at 100 yds with the factory remington stock. Put a hogue pillar bedded stock on, and it groups around 1/2" at 100. I will usually put 60 rounds through it in around 2 hrs. and it still shoots around 1/2".

I wouldn't count on that barrel lasting very long.

The data I have researched says that of ALL the short mags out there the .270wsm is by far the best. I have one and love. It does heat up quick tho but if your just using it for hunting 1 shot is all you need. If you want something to go shoot at targets with lots of rounds maybe lark has the right answer.

I wouldn't count on that barrel lasting very long.

That's ok, they make brand new ones.