Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Unit 10 muzzleloader

just want to thank all who offered some great information and help on my wife's hunt - which starts Friday.

still not sure where we will start or go - a lot depends on if her recent -several days of hacking /coughing which causes headaches will pass. hopefully in the next couple days .

we will still go hunting but not sure if any real physical hiking / hunting will be possible if she's not 100 %

we all know trying to hunt when feeling ill - is not a lot of fun

weather looks to be real cool and clearing by season opener lows around 30-- highs mid 50's

good luck to all whom will be hunting this hunt!

hopefully pics will follow later of this her first bull elk hunt

• Like 2

Good luck. Hope you have a warm place to stay, with this front moving in temps will be 10 degrees cooler. I've seen them in the low teens at night there this time of year.

I do own some acreage in 10 with a trailer on site - I'm already filling the butane bottle and plan on heating the trailer with an attached element . I know due diligence in having windows cracked and enough draft to not worry about suffocation from lack of air.

it would be nice to have a chance to actually harvest an elk on my own land but know it may not happen , due to the lowered numbers of elk in the areas around my area of unit 10. the elk may not have traveled this low yet, plus on this hunt we only a few days , so pick a spot or two and give it our best .

spending an extra hr and a few extra miles traveling back and forth to the trailer is something I'm willing to do . Normally camping out is the best and way easier but with comfort a few miles away and my wife is still hacking - the trailer seems like the best choice. plus even a few hrs in a nice warm bed is better than a sleeping bag on the ground.

thanks agin to everyone!

I hope the 10 degrees cooler will keep the elk out longer in the mornings and come out earlier in the evenings days are way to short this time of yr.

keeping a pad and sleeping bag in the truck so she can rest in the afternoons .

good luck Gary!

I hope your wife gets to feeling better!

good luck!

James

Good luck to you guys. I'll be out there as well helping my buddy with that tag. Should be a good time! If you ever come across a big green 1977 Chevy k20 truck on 35s feel free to stop and say hi.

not hunting the BO - could be in round mtn area - could be off the 124 - could be by the wind turbines could be n of Williams Cataract canyon area - not sure as of today where to start - got to talk to local neighbor upon arrival and check my trail cams first .

newer gray Silverado - new tires - lol

pictures off I-40 first is by crocton exit - second going from ash fork to Williams -third is williams

all taken 30 minutes ago

wife has acute Asthmatic Bronchitis - not good - going to have to delay opening morning and hope one more day in bed will help

do not think this weather would be too good for her right now

most will be probably be gone by Friday but expecting more thru the night

be safe out there people

post-3096-0-36937500-1446671334.jpg

post-3096-0-92525300-1446671347.jpg

post-3096-0-83834700-1446671358.jpg

I do own some acreage in 10 with a trailer on site - I'm already filling the butane bottle and plan on heating the trailer with an attached element . I know due diligence in having windows cracked and enough draft to not worry about suffocation from lack of air.

it would be nice to have a chance to actually harvest an elk on my own land but know it may not happen , due to the lowered numbers of elk in the areas around my area of unit 10. the elk may not have traveled this low yet, plus on this hunt we only a few days , so pick a spot or two and give it our best .

spending an extra hr and a few extra miles traveling back and forth to the trailer is something I'm willing to do . Normally camping out is the best and way easier but with comfort a few miles away and my wife is still hacking - the trailer seems like the best choice. plus even a few hrs in a nice warm bed is better than a sleeping bag on the ground.

thanks agin to everyone!

I hope the 10 degrees cooler will keep the elk out longer in the mornings and come out earlier in the evenings days are way to short this time of yr.

keeping a pad and sleeping bag in the truck so she can rest in the afternoons .

You might want to get on of these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_429037-347-SCO501CN_0__?k_clickID=682aa157-70db-4586-8578-305bd90c9066&store_code=3000&productId=4075206&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4069f969f9%5D&storeNumber=3000&kpid=4075206&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Smoke-_-4075206%3AFirst_Alert&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1706975536

Gary ,you meant grey silverado with old fart driving.....LOL........BOB!

wife has acute Asthmatic Bronchitis - not good - going to have to delay opening rning and hope one more day in bed will help

Get her on some type of bronchodilator and corticosteroids, cold air is a no no, keep her warm, and go kill something.

oh I bet money there are some out in this weather freeezing their little dodads off- being unprepared for some of these quick winter storms can be deadly -

those out in some of the remote BO areas may not have know exactly what to expect.

hope all are safe - warm and have a successful fun hunt

should be easy tracking with a blanket of rest snow - though most likely be gone by Friday morning

thanks for the carbon dioxide tip but with several windows cracked and the top vents on trailer cracked - I'm sure no carbon dioxide buildup is going to happen - its not like I leave it on all night - just long enough to warm things up before bed and in the morning

doc prescribed some medicine about the same as stated above - only problem its suppose to be contagious - --- by the time she'll get over it - the hunt will be over too - oh well as long as we can get out and hunt a few days- even if it is driving and sitting water - better than laying around home