Stickflinger76

Proven SA caliber for coues

Anything off derived from the .308 case. I've personally seen a. 308 lay the smack down on everything from coues to elk out to 500. The round is capable on distances much further. I'm sure you'll hear how great the. 260 and 7-08 are also. You could build a. 257 Roberts if you want a sweet quarter bore. It's a solid 500 yard round with a 115 grain ballistic tip or 110 accubond. I've seen mine kill a bunch of deer(mines an Ackley improved though.). 284 win looks sweet on paper. I'd love to try one.

It can be done but its not right in a short action. Magazine restraints limit the performance of the cartridge greatly due to seating the bullet so far into the case and if you seat the bullet where it needs to be it will have to be a single shot and you will more than likely have to pull the bolt to get a loaded round out of the chamber. .260 Remington gets my vote it is more than capable out to 800 easily on deer. The 6mmXC would also make an excellent deer cartridge in a short action.

I recommended a 284 but now that I've read a little bit about it I don't think that you could put a 284 or 6.5x284 in a short action and use bullets with any decent ballistic coefficient. Unless you plan on using it as a single shot. Magazine length would be the issue. Maybe somebody with experience can chime In.

If you want 6.5-284 performance from a short action cartridge then the .260 Ackley or the 6.5 SLR can get you there. 140gr bullets at or very near to 2950fps will tackle just about anything.

• Like 1

If you want 6.5-284 performance from a short action cartridge then the .260 Ackley or the 6.5 SLR can get you there. 140gr bullets at or very near to 2950fps will tackle just about anything.

Yes! Don't do the 6x284... If you see my earlier posts on the gun I built for my daughter I learned the hard way that with any VLD bullet it will be a single shot. I am looking to re-barrel on a beautiful brand new rifle to a true short action round .260 or a 6.5 in one of the short magnum cases.

7WSM

7RSAUM

6.5 4S

6.5 RSAUM

6.5 WSM

.260 Rem

.260 Ackley Imp.

6.5 SLR

6.5 Creedmoor

6.5 x 47 Lapua

.257 Roberts

.257 Ackley Imp.

.250 Savage

.250 Ackley Imp.

.243 Win

.243 Ackley Imp.

6mm Rem

6mm Ackley Imp.

6XC

6 x 47 Lapua

6 SLR

6mm Dasher

There are a lot more wildcats out there that would work great in a SA, but I don't want a 50+ cartridge list for you to narrow down.

6.5x55

6.5x55 AI

7x57

257 Roberts AI

All proven rounds. Nothing super cool, new school, or barn burners but they have been getting the job done for 100+ years.

I just started working on revamping a sporterized mauser in 6.5x55 for my son to shoot some day, and for me to shoot in the mean time.

.votepost-2809-0-17819700-1446601191_thumb.jpg .260 gets my vote built by stomp442

• Like 1

For a short action with a standard bolt face, I agree that the 308 based cartridges are tough to beat. I'm a fan of the 260, 708 and 308. 308 being my favorite.

They'll all get the job done on to deer to 500 yards and then some. All have their own strengths in their own rights.