Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Ruger American

Anyone have one? Like it? Thinking of getting one in 223. I shoot most coyotes under 300 and usually way less then that. Seems to have really good reviews for what most would consider a cheap or cheaper rifle. Which makes wonder, why Remington and some others can't bed and free float there rifles right out of the box like some others do without jacking there prices sky high. Thoughts?

I have a savage axis in 223 I'll sell ya, american is good too with some TLC. This savage shoots way to good for the price I can tell you that.

Anyone have one? Like it? Thinking of getting one in 223. I shoot most coyotes under 300 and usually way less then that. Seems to have really good reviews for what most would consider a cheap or cheaper rifle. Which makes wonder, why Remington and some others can't bed and free float there rifles right out of the box like some others do without jacking there prices sky high. Thoughts?

I've wondered that myself. A friend of mine bedded and free floated my 700 cdl and what a difference. I can't understand why the he11 they don't come like that if it makes them that much more accurate. I know it's all about the $ but you'd think they'd rather have them be more accurate out of the box.

• Like 1

I shoot one in 6.5 CM with 130 JLK....it is my truck rifle. As far as bang for the buck, I would lean more towards a Tikka, also there are little no no aftermarket parts for the American.

Tikkas are really good. I wouldn't anticipate doing much to a Ruger American in terms of adding anything accessory wise. Other then a scope. I'd want it for a cheap priced, accurate gun. As far why some manufacturers aluminum bed, adjustable trigger, and free float there guns while others don't, at a similar price, boggles my mind. I like Rem 700s but think of what I can buy for same price or lil more and get everything I want in another gun.

I purchased one in .22-250 (Ruger American Predator) because of the great price point. Rifle's action is well bedded, barrel is threaded for a suppressor, trigger is adjustable, and rifle is fairly accurate for an entry-level firearm. The magazines have gotten a bad reputation of not feeding correctly. I have had a few problems with mine when I chamber a new round slowly. If you cycle the bolt quick I get no jams.

For a cheap coyote rifle, this rifle in this specific caliber is hard to beat for the money.

49c47fb4-6732-4d94-b88a-21745b242217_zps

• Like 1

3/4" at 100 with factory Hornady Superformance 50g around 4000fps.

Fantastic flat shooting caliber good out to 300ish with crosshairs on the target. I have shot a dozen or so coyotes with it. All dead within 20' of where I shot them.

They do not come like that because most people do not bother with checking to see just how accurate the rifle actually is.

I know of someone who bought a Rem 770 2-3 years ago and has shot it less than a box total and not in the last year at all! Even with a rifle bull tag in less than a week! !

I had some 40 grn hornady vmax that were just over 4000fps so maybe with the Superformance powder the extra couple hundred fps takes the 50 grn up to 4000 I don't doubt it

I picked up the ruger American ranch in 223 a few months ago. Super light and short, moa or better accuracy. Great rifle to carry around all day. Very good value.