Sign in to follow this  
murfys69law

Vortex torque specs versus Leupold specs.

I had posted about a month ago that my brand new 6x24 FFP Vortex scope was not tracking and asked some of you if you had had this problem. I had some of you say that the scope may be bad, some said they sold theirs as soon as they could and got another brand. Others said that's why Vortex has such a good warranty because I will have to use a lot. My first thought was the latter. Sell it and get a Leupold or another brand. I contacted Vortex and explained my situation to a very knowledgeable person who happened to own the same exact scope as mine, After explaining my problem, and telling him that the gunsmith (I won't mention his name) who installed it told me that there are springs in it and I should tap on the turrets after I move them. I explained that my friend has a Leupold, (5guyshunting) and doesn't have to do this and I feel that for 1K I shouldn't have to as well. I have done that for years on some of my lesser expensive scopes, but felt that for $1,000 this shouldn't have to be done. 5guyshunting has a Leupold and his tracks fine without the ,tap, tap, tap. I had some of you state you do it all the time whether it be habit or just a sense of self satisfaction to try to help the scope track after moving the turrets. The first thing the gentleman at Vortex asked me was, "what was the scope rings torqued at"? I stated whatever the gunsmith had read or learned from previous other installs. He then asked if I had Leupold rings? I said yes. He told me that 99.9% of the time this is what causes the tracking to not work properly. Over torqued rings. I did some research on this and found the Leupold rings brand new out of the package calls for 25#s, + - a pound, where the Vortex box stated 15-18#s. He stated he had his rings on his hunting rifle at 16#s and had never had a problem. I went to 5guyshunting house and Charlie helped me re-torque all the screws. Then I moved the elevation turret back and forth several times and put the gun away until today. I went and shot my Browning 300 WM today and without one tap the scope worked like a charm!!! From 500 yards back to zero it hit where it was supposed to hit after adjustment. My reason for posting this to possibly help anyone else that may have had this problem. My final point is, Next time I will install my OWN scope. I have all the confidence in the world now in Vortex optics. And a big thanks to my friend Charlie (5guyshunting) for helping me with this issue.

Hope this helps,

Dan

• Like 2

Thanks for the post Murfy I just put this scope on my 300 win mag I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I had read your previous post about your tracking problem and was beginning to

2nd guess buying that scope. I had done lots of research & read several reviews before I purchased. I have other Vortex optics & am extremely happy with them so this will put my mind

at ease.

That's good info but still makes me question the quality of the scope if a slight over torque can cause it to track improperly.

That's good info but still makes me question the quality of the scope if a slight over torque can cause it to track improperly.

Why would you question it? That's why there are specs on the ring torque. 10#s different is a lot when you are talking about such a sensitive piece of equipment. I checked it before re-torquing and it was over by 10#s easy. Re-torque and the problem was gone.

Thanks I have a good friend talking me into a vortex scope and this take away the questions in my mind

:) good luck on all future tracking I hope it works better for you than me. I had torqued mine to vortex specs and still had problems.

I was told this same thing when I first contacted Vortex about the first scope of theirs that I had go bad. The first time around I did have the rings torqued to 25 inch pounds in Burris signature zee rings. I figured ok, too much torque, the next few that I purchased I made sure and torqued to Vortex specs and they still failed me within six months with unreliable tracking. I don't trust them and never will again especially when I can buy a Leupold VX3 for under $900 and have a much better and reliable quality optic. As far as I am concerned Vortex makes really nice paper weights.

• Like 1