WCarson33

How to choose a backpack?

What do you look for when purchasing your first pack? I do not intend to set up a base camp but instead pack a leightweight tent to pop up where I need it.

If you have advice on what to look for and what to stay away from that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

"What do you look for when purchasing your first pack?"

More money...to buy more packs. Your first pack is just the beginning. You will soon have a few packs and still looking for that perfect one. :-)

There is a Kuiu two pack set for sale in classifieds. That would be a good choice.

• Like 1

Go to rei or summit hut. Get measured. A pack is supposed to ride on your hips. Look at all the features of a pack at a hiking store. Adjustability, the way the belt tightens,storage pockets,ect. Don't buy one from those places for hunting. Now look at hunting packs, try to find one with all the things you liked on the backpacking pack. Then buy one. Then buy another type, then a different one and so on. You will end up with 7 or 8. Good luck.

I have had a lot of different packs I finally bit the bullet and bought a kifaru a little pricey but its the most comfortable pack I have ever owned you can call Aron he will set you up great guy to talk with tons of knowledge 7209371418

• Like 3

Outdoorsmans Optic Hunter is a great pack. They are here locally so you can go down and try one out for yourself. Cody and the guys will take great care of your needs

• Like 3

Another vote for Kifaru.. Carried out a whole coues deer twice this year in my DT2 and was extremely comfortable for the weight you are packing. They have the option of switching out bags depending on what your doing. Definitely give them a look if you plan on carrying some heavy weight

i got the longe range outdoorsman pack,(6 ounces more in bag weight) but never runout of room and has a meat frame built with it just remove the bag and use the frame.

IF you are starting out my suggestion would be the "Hellcat." Its a modified military Alice Pack- you wont find something better for the price in my opinion. THIS IS NOT YOUR DAY PACK THOUGH. Its not only a hunting pack but also a bug out bag. If you are wanting to spend a lot of money then you can go with the higher end brand names. They have great quality and great warranty's. But again if you want to save money and want a bag that will carry as much weight as you want it too then the Hellcat is my choice and it's only $60. This bag is not the traditional ALICE as it has the upgraded Molle straps. Go to "The old Grouch Military Surplus" on the web and look it up.

Anyone out there still use a traditional ALICE?

post-8413-0-45256200-1448309278.png

Guest 300ultramag.

Not all packs are created equal. Unfortunately to find the one you really like or can appreciate is by trial and error.myself Right now I landed on mystery ranch and this pack is bad to the bone. They all have gizmos and gadgets,get the one that'll last a life time get mystery ranch!!! kifaru is my next oack

i like my eberlestock x1/a2. it's not the lightest pack out there like a kuiu, but i like the scabbard option and bow bucket option to carry my weapon when im covering lots of country. it's well built and comfortable to carry with a good day hunting load.

i like my eberlestock x1/a2. it's not the lightest pack out there like a kuiu, but i like the scabbard option and bow bucket option to carry my weapon when im covering lots of country. it's well built and comfortable to carry with a good day hunting load.

when i buy a pack (not that i'm some super expert), i literally map out in my head what i need to carry and make sure the pack can accomodate it in an organized manner (Without being maxxed out on space).