Sign in to follow this  
azbownunter22

Muzzeloader Question

What type of ML do you have? How is the accuracy? What kind of range are you getting with your deer bullets and powder? What loads are working the best? What do you like about it? What do you disslike about it? Would you recommend?

I appreciate any info you all can give me.

:rolleyes: 35 a and b ML Dec :P

awww, so thats where my first choice tag went. :huh:

I wouldn't be too dissapointed, you drew a pretty good tag as well!

Have you ever had the Dec ML tag?

I have a a couple good areas for WT in your unit if you want to e-mail me I will give those to you.

azbowhunter@myway.com

Simon

Thompson Omega, 50 cal. camo with stainless. I shoot the 240 grain Horady XTP with sabots, and also the Thompson shockwaves in 250 grains sabots. 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets. I'm around 3 inches high at 100 yards, a near 165 yard zero, and around 3 inches low at 200 yards. I can shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards, and around 5 inch groups at 200. I'm very happy with it and love it! However, the only down side is that I can't use it in some other states for hunting because its an inline and uses a 209 primer.

I will second coues addicts post. Can't go wrong with the Omega 50, just about everything I load shoots well and it is easy to clean. I shoot 100 -130 gr pyrodex pellets and also triple 7 pellets. Precision 240 & 275 gr. dead centers shoot good. I've also had good luck with the Powerbelt 295, Hornady 300 gr. SST as well as the shockwave 250's all out to about 200 yds. I personally wouldn't shoot further than 200, but it's pretty accurate out to it. Work up a load that shoots good and you will have alot of fun with it.

I'm still shooting my Knight Wolverine I bought in 1996 when I was 14 and drew my 1st elk tag. I shoot open dights with 90 grains of pyrodex powder and a 385 grain conicle bullet. Shoots great out to 100 yds but pretty much hits the brakes and heads straight for the dirt after that. Some say I should upgrade but I have killed 3 elk, 2 javelina and an atelope with that set up and I am very stuborn and feel why fix something thats not broke.

On the other hand my dad shoots the Knight Magnum Disc rifle. He shoots 150 grains of pyrodex pellets with a 285 grain sabot. It is scoped and he shoots unbelievably great with it. 3 inches high at 100yds and 4 to 5 inch groups at 200yds. Muzzleloaders sure have come along way in the past ten years.

We both love our muzzys. It just depends on what set up you feel comfortable with.

I shoot a CVA Optima with 240G Hornaday xtp with nosler sabots with 100 grains loose powder 777. Equals about 120 Grains in pellet. Shoot very similar to AZ coues addict ballistically and accuray wise. The gun only likes the Nosler sabots for some reason. Shots wander with harvester and knight sabots.

Bob

Geez--you guys make me feel old--actually I am--In CO where I have muzzy hunted since the early 90's--no sabot's--no pelletized powder and no scopes. I have sidelock percussions--both CVA--one is a 50 cal Hawken that I put together as a kit and it is fairly accurate out to 100 yds. No MOA for sure. I have killed several deer with it. I used Buffalo Bullets in both 385 & 420 gr with 90 & 100 gr of Pyrodex. I also have a 54 cal with a 1:32 twist that I shoot 390 & 425 gr Buffalo bullets with 95 & 100 gr of Pyrodex. With the faster twist is seems to be more accurate than the 50. The only drawback with the 54 is the lack of the two-set trigger (double trigger) I love that feature on my Hawken. I have killed Deer, Elk & Antelope with it.

My bro has an inexpensive ($150) CVA inline he bought just after 911--due to the hassle of taking on the airline back then, he had it shipped to my house. He uses the lighter Buffalo bullet with 85 gr of pyrodex. Very accurate piece and he too has bagged a few Elk with it. He has a T/C Renegade that wouldn't shoot worth a dang as a 54--so he put a 50 cal Green River barrel on it--and it is great too.

The best thing about Muzzy hunting is NO PRESSURE!!!

Enjoy--BOB

I have a Ruger77/50 RSO which is the straight English style walnut stock. I've got a Leupold M-8 fixed 3x scope on it. I haven't worked up an elk load yet, but for deer I use 100 gr Pyrodex pellets and Barnes 245gr TMZ Spitfires. Works good for me, 1.5" groups at 130yds. It uses #11 caps instead of 209, although I have a musket cap nipple for it that I haven't tried. It has never failed to ignite the powder as long as the cap goes off. I have failed to get the cap seated firmly enough and that is operator error. I really enjoy the smokepole though. Have fun!!

I will add one more because I am so happy with it. It is a CVA Kodiac PRO branded as a Winchester Apex. I put See tru-mounts and a Bushnell 3200 3x9-40. Working up an accurate load did take quite a bit work but I think in the end it was worth it. I am shooting Barnes 300grn Expanders(I call it 'the copper trash can') atop of 120grns of loose 777. I am getting 3 inch groups at 200 yards. Three inches high @ 100 and 3 inches low @ 200 yards.

Good luck and what ever you get make sure you put in plenty of range time before the hunt.

:ph34r:

I'm pretty new to muzzleloading and am enjoying learning the the different aspects this hobby/obsession. My current setup is a hand-me-down Knight Wolverine with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 atop. I have only been working with Barnes 285 gr expander MZs and 295 gr powerbelts. With 100 gr of pyrodex pellets, both give me about 1.5-3 inches at 100 yds, but the Barnes strike the target about 7 inches higher than the powerbelts. Haven't run them theough the chronograph yet, but I'm sure the barnes will be flying significantly faster.

I also have a T/C Omega topped with a fixed 4.75x weaver grand slam in a talley one piece scope mount.. 3 triple seven pellets and a 290 gr Barnes expander sabots consistently produced 1 1/2" groups. I've only hunted with it one season, but it worked quite well on the cow that I shot last year. The shot was around 60 yards or so and she never made it out of her bed.

It's pretty easy to clean and maintain. The action is very simple, the trigger is decent and they have a good reputation in regards to accuracy.

good luck with your choice,

Schmitty