Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

My Dad's first bull story

I had put my dad, brother, and brother-in-law onto my card this year and we got drawn for 22S. None of them had gotten a bull elk before, so it was my goal to change that for as many as we could.

We were glassing up a valley and saw a nice 5x5 about 1/4 mile from where he was. Alas, we couldn't raise him on a radio or cell phone, so I was pretty bummed about that. The next morning, we got my brother in law on a spike that he took. We had it quartered, packed out and at processing before noon. We continued to glass all day, and I asked my dad where he wanted to go for the evening hunt. He just wanted something that didn't require too much walking. We had hiked quite a bit in the prior few days, and needed a low key evening. We tried out a spot I had seen while scounting and setup to glass. We spied up a 9 cows, but no bull about one hour before sunset. Se kept on it and shifted down the ridge to get a different look. Nothing.

About 10 minutes before shooting light was out, I was a couple of minutes from packing up my gear and hiking out. We spy this good looking raghorn a mile away. I laughed about it, because it was too late. Rough terrain, through 2 decent draws before we could get into position. We are talking rough going (those who know this area know what I am talking about). He gets fired up and says he wanted to give it a go. I smirked and told him he's gotta fly. He and a hunting buddy of mine race down the ridge to get into position. My brother and I pushed farther down the ridge to see if there were any bulls moving at the bottom. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later (we had packed up our gear), we hear this shot that could have only come from him. I looked at my brother and we laughed out loud. Did my Dad, who had a knee replaced 3 years ago, just fly over those ridges to take that shot??

As they left initially, I told my brother he had a 5% chance of getting to, and then making the shot. Now, we are smiling and laughing the whole way over to check on him. It takes us a lot longer, because it is pitch black by now. We get to his shooting position, and he is still camped out there. He was pretty sure he hit the elk, but it had gone behind a bush, and didn't want to spook it if still alive. It was a 248 yard shot, so I was feeling good that he got him.

We wait another 10 minutes or so, and then make the trip down this ridge to other side. About 15 minutes later, we are walking around and get the strong smell of elk. Then we found this guy laying on his side. he had shot him just below the heart and went about 20 yards. Great moment, because of his first elk AND the fact he took it out like someone half his age. This story is going to last a while in my family. Great memories, and this is why I love to hunt.

post-13295-0-75764000-1449853638_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Congrats to your dad on his bull! Hahaha I remember my buddy taking out one of his coworkers to scout with us. He is about 60 years old and walked up those hills like a goat! So I never under estimate anyone haha,

Great job, Congrats!!!! That area can be tough for anyone to hunt, your dad should be very proud!

That is really cool. Enjoy that time with your dad. Mine is not in good enough shape to get around the hills any more.

• Like 1