Sign in to follow this  
turbo

Spot and stalk coues

B) B) B) Awesome buck with the old stick & string! Congrats!

My ol' man shot several with an old bear grizzly recurve by being sneaky. But he didn't make his bow. Great story. Lark

Hey way to make me feel like a bigger loser. Haha. Just kidding. That's awesome. Very impressive

• Like 1

WOW!! Nice going!

Wow.. congrats! I'm truly impressed and inspired to get out and try harder. Thanks for sharing

Tell us about the business end and the arrow shaft? You spoke of Ryan Gill, I finish his book this summer and got back into knapping obsidian. John

The broadheads were Zwickey 125 grain 2 blades. I chose 2 bladesafter my first coues; I shot downward off a cliff, and the Zwickey 4 blade I had on the chundoo shaft went almost through the spine, but the bleeders kept it from full penetration. He bleed out still, but I went to two blades after that incident.

I keep the arrows fairly long for my draw, as it helps spine. I am really working on having my draw increase to closer to 25.75", as that make arrow tuning easier. Ace broadheads at 145 grains are on my Missouri arrows. Stu Millers dynamic spine calculator helps a lot.

I looked into the single bevel for added insurance when a hit misses the mark, but some broadhead manufacturers on other sites said their test yielded no difference. The double bevel, I am told, hold their edge longer in the field, and with no torqueing on impact compared to a single bevel, more momentum goes into penetration.

Congrats, IMO this is the greatest accomplishment I have read about on this website for the year. You have inspired me to put some of my tech down and go with one of my recurves at least a few times in January.

• Like 3

I dont understand many words you wrote :)

But...

HOW AWEEEEEEEESOME! Clearly you know what your talkin about. CONGRATS!!!

Great job Turbo! Getting to or even drawing a bow that close to a coues deer and getting away with it is VERY difficult.

I have been hunting with a custom longbow from Bob Morrison for years and have taken a coues with a Damon Howatt recurve but have yet to make a selfbow. I've cut some staves of various woods and tried making a bow from cedar but it blew up. As you know selfbows in AZ have a limited lifespan.