PatrickJr

Pond Jumping (beginners luck)

A buddy of mine wanted to go calling last week and he said that we might jump a few ponds so I bought my first federal stamp. We never saw a duck. I wanted to make use of this $25 sticker I bought, so this week I told myself I was going to kill some ducks. On Monday, I jumped a pond and got my first duck in Arizona, a shoveler hen. Also the first duck I've ever killed pond jumping.

post-12189-0-39767700-1451009622_thumb.jpeg

I went out yesterday (Wednesday) and did a couple fox stands, I got a fox into 6 yards but didn't shoot. After I jumped one pond and missed what I thought was a blue wing. Found 2 shoveler on a pond and got real close. I was able to get my first drake shoveler. On the next pond I checked it but didn't see anything then I walked onto the birm and a greenwing jumps up and I have my first greenwing teal!

post-12189-0-59252800-1451010016_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-92589000-1451010035_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-13040600-1451010054_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-13278700-1451010075_thumb.jpeg

Went out deer hunting with my dad today and threw the shotgun in the truck with the remaining shells I had from the box I started with. After the morning hunt, we drove up to a pond and I saw there were a bunch of ducks on it. I snuck up and once again thought I was looking at some blue wings. I run up to the edge of the water and shoot a duck and the one behind it also falls. Then two shoveler drakes fly across my face at ~ 30 yards and one shot puts both of them in the water. Then I see one more duck and I shot it. 5 ducks with 3 shots! I had no idea what I had just done. Turns out all the ducks I thought were blue wings were ringneck hens! I was so upset! What a rookie move. I should have noticed them diving.

post-12189-0-37421700-1451010770_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-17522900-1451010791_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-73797100-1451010813_thumb.jpegpost-12189-0-29930100-1451010839_thumb.jpeg

One of the shovelers from today was really nice and my dad said if I don't shoot a nicer one, he will split the cost with me to have it mounted! That being said, can anyone give me some recommendations for a really good bird taxidermists in Tucson? But any guy in AZ will work if their work is stellar!

• Like 8

That's really cool Patrick! Congrats and good shooting! The best bird guy I know is Sven at Wildlife Wings and Design in Phoenix. Many taxidermists here bring their customers' birds to him.

Tommy

Congrats on your first ducks!

Unless you are dead set on mounting that Shoveler (nothin wrong with that), I would hold out for a fully mature male. You will know when see one, the head will be solid green and the back is white. As juveniles the colors aren't quite as bold. They really are beautiful birds despite those big honkin lips.

A Blue Wing in AZ will be a very rare duck. Both Cinnamon Teal and Shovelers share the distinct blue shoulder patch as the Blue Wing. Cinnamon hens are almost impossible to tell apart from Blue Wings.

• Like 2

Congrats on your first ducks!

Unless you are dead set on mounting that Shoveler (nothin wrong with that), I would hold out for a fully mature male. You will know when see one, the head will be solid green and the back is white. As juveniles the colors aren't quite as bold. They really are beautiful birds despite those big honkin lips.

A Blue Wing in AZ will be a very rare duck. Both Cinnamon Teal and Shovelers share the distinct blue shoulder patch as the Blue Wing. Cinnamon hens are almost impossible to tell apart from Blue Wings.

Yes, after looking online at some shoveler mounts, I have realized that this one isn't exactly the best. Thanks for the help. Someone told me that blue wings and cinnamon should be in Mexico already so don't plan on seeing one.

I'm am going to keep at it and hopefully shoot a duck worthy of mounting. I already have a mallard of mine from Oklahoma mounted and my dad has a widgeon mounted so it will have to be a different species than those.

Yes, after looking online at some shoveler mounts, I have realized that this one isn't exactly the best. Thanks for the help. Someone told me that blue wings and cinnamon should be in Mexico already so don't plan on seeing one.

No problem, and good luck. There will be plenty of Cinnamon's around throughout the season in southern AZ. You will need to go east a few states to reliably find Blue Wings.

No problem, and good luck. There will be plenty of Cinnamon's around throughout the season in southern AZ. You will need to go east a few states to reliably find Blue Wings.

I blew it. Today I went out and checked a pond that had 8 Canada geese. And these weren't the little cacklers either they were the big honkers. I wasnt prepared with the correct shot size and couldn't get one to hit the ground From what I hear, they are extremely rare to find down here. I also shot a beautiful greenwing

There seem to be alot more ducks and geese around Payson this year