Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

ANYONE HUNT CALIFORNIA QUAIL HERE?

The game department tried to introduce California quail to eastern Arizona in the 1960s, but the program apparently failed everywhere except along a short stretch of the Little Colorado River between Eagar and South Fork

We don't have many of them, but they're still here. The last time I saw a covey was this past September, when six or seven birds flew across the highway west of the log factory as I was driving to Springerville for groceries.

Seeing Sherman's title "Quail Slam Done" made me wonder if he had taken all four types of quail legal to hunt here.

Has anyone done it?

Bill Quimby

I've gotten California quail before but not in AZ. I have tried looking for them a couples times as well as the larger "hargravei" scaled quail. Both of these quail are supposed to be near the Little Colorado and Zuni rivers near Springerville. I've looked for the California quail near Richville but with no luck. Most of the "good" California quail habitat in that area is private. I don't know anybody that has ever gotten some out of Arizona. If they are there, there isn't very many. post-2799-0-50039800-1451795778_thumb.jpegpost-2799-0-15770300-1451796013_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Jonesface:

I haven't heard about another subspecies of scaled quail being reported anywhere near Springerville, but years ago someone told me he'd seen scaled quail close to Holbrook. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember he said it was near a park with petroglyphs.

If they're still up there and they're not the same subspecies as those here in southern Arizona, it means Arizona has six types of quail -- Gambel's, two types of scalies, Mearns, California and masked bobwhite.

No other state can say that.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Bill you're right! Actually we also have two subspecies of Gambels as well. I have shot both. The western Gambels quail is central and western AZ while the more richly colored Eastern Gambels quail is in higher elevations of eastern AZ around the Chiricahuas.

The two scaled quail(pallida and hargravei) are also supposibly here. The larger, paler, and grayer "hargravei" scaled quail are somewhere north of Springerville up on the plateau. I've looked for them NE of Springerville and SE of Saint Johns but with no luck. This is the same subspecies as the Colorado scaled quail. Now add in the hybrids and that's a lot of verity of quail. Also not far from our border is the "Elegant Quail".

Also one could hunt pheasants, chukar, and grouse to add to the upland hunter bag in Arizona.

That would give you an upland mixed slam in one state; not to mention all of the migratory fowl that comes through our state. This is a great state for a wing shooter for sure!

I'm thinking the Masked Bobwhite are a lost cause. Awfullly expensive to hunt too.

I did try to get down to the river and find some Californias but gave up as it was way too warm and the snakes were still out. I have heard of guys up near Big Lake finding Mearns (accidentally) but it seems all those spots for Californias, Mearns and Scalies up there are truly secret.

• Like 1

I'm thinking the Masked Bobwhite are a lost cause. Awfullly expensive to hunt too.

I did try to get down to the river and find some Californias but gave up as it was way too warm and the snakes were still out. I have heard of guys up near Big Lake finding Mearns (accidentally) but it seems all those spots for Californias, Mearns and Scalies up there are truly secret.

I've seen several coveys of mearns up here in U1. Surprised I haven't had a heart attack yet from finding them.

• Like 1

I didn't know about this, something new to research, thanks!

If a group wants to get together and go on a bigfoot-style locating/hunting mission, I'm all in!

Bill- I have seen very few scaled quail in the years I have hunted. I have seen them down by douglas, and to the east from there in New Mexico; and east of ..... Holbrook. I have seen them there more than once while working. much like the covey of mearns I saw near hanagan meadow, I just thought they were lost. I had no idea there were two sub specie of gambels and scaled. interesting. ron.

There's a covey of quail that hang out by the dam at zuni reservoir near St Johns. I never looked close I just thought they were gambles. I have shot 3 different type of quail down on the blue river road. I assumed they were gambles, mearns and scaled.

Roninflag:

I know very little about quail, and never was much of a bird hunter.

It's probably because I'm a lousy shot with a shotgun and the meat I brought home just didn't seem to be worth the effort. It's been at least 25 years since I hunted quail and nearly as long since I shot a dove.

However, I do know that although California quail and Gambel's quail may look similar at first glance they are regarded as separate species.

Here's what I found on the "Net:"

"The California quail's range is adjacent but does not overlap the Gambel's quail's. California quail have strong light-and-dark scaling on the belly and on the nape of the neck. The crown patch of males is darker and less reddish than Gambel's quail males. Female California quail lack the female Gambel's creamy belly wash."

If I were younger and my arthritic feet still allowed me to walk as I once did, I'd try to find a California quail near our cabin, just to have hunted all four quail species legal to hunt in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

There are still Scaled Quail in Holbrook. Not as many as there were in the mid to late 90s. Back then you would see them at the Airport and the Hennesy Butes. The last time I saw any was about two years ago near Navajo, there were maybe 6 together.

Bill, that Petroglyph Park was a place they liked to hang out. There is a plant that grows along the Leroux they seem to like. I'm not sure of the name or spelling but I've heard it called Chamisse? It's the plant you see people harvesting along I-40 near Sanders.