firstcoueswas80

backpacking in the southern units, mainly 36b

Has there ever been a case of illegals messing with a hunter? I am interested in possibly backpacking in to some of these units as well. I am thinking the only other limiting factor is going to be finding a reliable water source. Is that even possible in the border units?

^^^ there are a few stories of that happening. Just a few who went through camps. But 99.9% want to avoid you at all cost. There are story's of border patrol watch illegals coming up to camps at night stopping in their tracks because they realize a camp is in their way and hike around it. The only threat is if you accidentally stumble across way to close guys with large packs and ak47s.

But okbow47 you are more likely to be killed in a car accident coming from Oklahoma then you are coming across those guys with you life being threaten.

• Like 1

So you want to hunt on the border? Sure no real problem. Things to be aware of. Plenty of north bounders. See and avoid. If they are running a big load there are usually scouts ahead of them. They have good optics too and they get paid to keep the groups out of trouble. So when you are sitting on that ridge or hill top glassing there is always a chance someone watched you walk up there. Maybe a scout or maybe the BP. They (the spotters) like the high peaks as well as you.

Where to stay at night. I spend most of my time alone out there so security is a major concern. I like a concealed spot with a good back stop. That way I only have one avenue of approach to secure. I like to locate the spot before dark in passing but don't give the spot away. Cook and eat before you get to your sleeping spot to keep the wild life visitors to a minimum. I don't enjoy skunks and other rodents crawling on me at night. Move in at the last possible ambient light. No head lamps exposed ever till it's morning and time to leave if you don't plan to come back. There are lot of big trails that have been established by the groups. I use them during the day but be alert.

vehicle security is a concern. I try to park near an established camp maybe they will watch it for you. If you see the Border Patrol on your drive in I would definitely tell the agents you are going in and a general area you will be.

If you encounter a group rather it's backpackers or plain ole' walkers. Just walk away, watch your back and create distance ASAP.

I never go in without a side arm on my hip, loaded and ready to protect myself. In my opinion that would be foolish to think a side arm is not necessary.

Last year I inadvertently overtook a group of mules on my out to the truck after dark. Fortunately for everyone they dropped their bundles and ran. I was still over an hour from my truck so i just stashed the bundles, GPS'ed it and got out of there. I wouldn't recommend the stashing part :).

Anyway be alert and enjoy the adventure.

Sorry for the long post...

• Like 1

Fortunately for everyone they dropped their bundles and ran. I was still over an hour from my truck so i just stashed the bundles, GPS'ed it and got out of there. I wouldn't recommend the stashing part :).

im in for the recovery

:ph34r: I sent the cords to the Boys in Green and they recovered it that night.

So you want to hunt on the border? Sure no real problem. Things to be aware of. Plenty of north bounders. See and avoid. If they are running a big load there are usually scouts ahead of them. They have good optics too and they get paid to keep the groups out of trouble. So when you are sitting on that ridge or hill top glassing there is always a chance someone watched you walk up there. Maybe a scout or maybe the BP. They (the spotters) like the high peaks as well as you.

Where to stay at night. I spend most of my time alone out there so security is a major concern. I like a concealed spot with a good back stop. That way I only have one avenue of approach to secure. I like to locate the spot before dark in passing but don't give the spot away. Cook and eat before you get to your sleeping spot to keep the wild life visitors to a minimum. I don't enjoy skunks and other rodents crawling on me at night. Move in at the last possible ambient light. No head lamps exposed ever till it's morning and time to leave if you don't plan to come back. There are lot of big trails that have been established by the groups. I use them during the day but be alert.

vehicle security is a concern. I try to park near an established camp maybe they will watch it for you. If you see the Border Patrol on your drive in I would definitely tell the agents you are going in and a general area you will be.

If you encounter a group rather it's backpackers or plain ole' walkers. Just walk away, watch your back and create distance ASAP.

I never go in without a side arm on my hip, loaded and ready to protect myself. In my opinion that would be foolish to think a side arm is not necessary.

Last year I inadvertently overtook a group of mules on my out to the truck after dark. Fortunately for everyone they dropped their bundles and ran. I was still over an hour from my truck so i just stashed the bundles, GPS'ed it and got out of there. I wouldn't recommend the stashing part :).

Anyway be alert and enjoy the adventure.

Sorry for the long post...

Preachin' to the choir on the illegal and sidearm stuff my man. Thank you for the post.

Fortunately for everyone they dropped their bundles and ran. I was still over an hour from my truck so i just stashed the bundles, GPS'ed it and got out of there. I wouldn't recommend the stashing part :).

im in for the recovery

Only if you have your medical marijuana card. I've packed in a few miles at the end of summit road to the east along the border. Lots of deer I would do it again. I probably wouldn't go to the west off of summit the traffic was higher.

im in for the recovery

Only if you have your medical marijuana card. I've packed in a few miles at the end of summit road to the east along the border. Lots of deer I would do it again. I probably wouldn't go to the west off of summit the traffic was higher.

Pretty sure it's frowned upon if you get caught with 300lbs even if you have a card

• Like 1

Are they even bringing bales over any more? Seems like the reports are saying there is more green stuff heading into Mexico these days.

• Like 2

Thats too bad it's burning. With the drought conditions it will take forever to recover. Is that fire from lightning or tonks?

Everything between Summit motorway and Pena Blanca Lake south of Ruby road burned..

Fire started just south of the border by aliens waiting to cross.

• Like 1