Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Wyoming 2016/2017

I have 3 points in WY and am looking to go either this year or next depending on AZ elk results. I am eyeing unit 59 right now but am open to others. I would like to find a pretty buck but don't need another giant (yes that was a humble brag, could not help myself). I would like to get some doe tags for the wife and myself in the unit we hunt or units that are close by.

Anyone else thinking about doing something similar? Or does anyone have any experience with unit 59 and what we could expect?

Looking forward to getting after them again. I love hunting lope.

Probably not much help but info off gohunt.com shows trophy potential of 75"+ and average around 70" coming from that unit. 42% private land but a ton of antelope. Draw odds are 100% with 3 points in the special draw and isn't 100% in the regular draw til 5 points.

I have 3 points in WY and am looking to go either this year or next depending on AZ elk results. I am eyeing unit 59 right now but am open to others. I would like to find a pretty buck but don't need another giant (yes that was a humble brag, could not help myself). I would like to get some doe tags for the wife and myself in the unit we hunt or units that are close by.

Anyone else thinking about doing something similar? Or does anyone have any experience with unit 59 and what we could expect?

Looking forward to getting after them again. I love hunting lope.

IUnless you already got your app in, youre gonna have to go in 2017. App deadline was Jan 31.

Im not an expert by any means but Buy your pref point and put in next year w a pref point, youll go in at 5 and according to 2014 draw results should have 20% odds. Sweet spot is 6 pref points for 100% unless you plan on paying extra for the special draw and in that case you shouldve put in last year (2 was 100%).

You dont have to tell me why you like 59 but in Wyoming I like a unit with a little more public land, if youre looking for a good 70+ buck. Im sure you can find them but more available country means more chances at locating one....at least thats how I think.

There are always leftovers too.

I've hunted antelope in Wyoming a couple of times. I HIGHLY recommend a GPS with hunting maps. Public and private land is "spreckled" together. I have a friend that lives in Casper. Our first day out on our first hunt, we passed on several nice antelope because we weren't sure based on a paper map whether or not the antelope were on public or private. We purchased a GPS with the hunting maps that evening and went out the next day. The GPS Made all the difference in the world. 6 antelope took a dirt nap the next day. Area 72 has a decent amount of public land and plenty of game. I am going back up to Wyoming for my 2016 hunt and I think we will be putting in for 73 as a first choice and 72 as a second choice. We are trying to coordinate this as a deer, antelope and elk hunt, so,still working out the details on where we will hunt. If you have a map and want some advice on area 72, I would be happy to help.

I'm glad this conversation is ongoing. I am trying to plan an archery hunt in Wyoming. No bonus points, but looking for some help where there might be water on public land. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am still in the "buying points" phase. I bought my first point last year. I am not quite able to make the trip yet. Maybe in the next couple years.

• Like 1

TwoGuns, Wyoming has one of the best websites for hunt planning. Interactive map (with landownership) draw odds and harvest reports.

There are some units that nonresidents can draw with zero or one preference point without going into the special draw. You can purchase preference points beginning July 1. If you're willing to pay a few hundred dollars more, you can draw a tag in the special draw.

Use the map to do some research based on location for public land and water. Wyoming also has a walk in access program where private is open to public with certain stipulations (no quads, no vehicles, only for pronghorn, only for deer, etc.) also some have limited access and you can apply for a permit. Some units open in Sept or Oct and depending on the unit may go unit late Nov for rifle.

Buy a pref point this year for $30 while you do your research for next year.

Thanks for the info guys. I am planning on the special draw. I am 100% open to other units, I had only selected 59 because my uncle who knows antelope pretty good hunted it and said there were plenty of good bucks. A 75" buck would put a big smile on my face and earn a permanent spot in the man cave. But, just as important to me is quantity. I would really like to dind somewhere the wife and I can also get some extra for tags. It just sounds like fun taking the whole family up and filling the truck with goat carcasses.

59 is a really good unit there. And 72 and 73 are good also. 3 points it looks like you are a shoe in for any one of those units. If you really want to hunt put in for the special and put the unit you really want for both. Also grab two does tags. Makes the trip that much more worth it. Then grab a beer and be thankful you didnt have to wait 30 years like in AZ

• Like 1

Buy a pref point this year for $30 while you do your research for next year.

So it's only $30 for a point, but I'm assuming you have to pay for the out of state license as well correct?

I've always hunted 50 around Saratoga... Checker Board land but lots of goats... Plus, you can each get 2 doe tags a piece in that unit..