Sign in to follow this  
brent

AC maintenance?

The whole reason to use a filter is to protect the equipment, not clean the air for comfort or a clean house. Its to keep dirt out of the coils and motors, if you take a filter you are using and pour salt on it, see how much falls through, when people say pleated filters plug up to fast its because they are doing their job, just change it more frequently it means it trapping that dirt and saving the expensive equipment that you have.

If your diligent about changing filters then by all means use pleated. I would be willing to bet most people aren't that great about changing there filters.

I use only pleated and change every month. Unit is 10 yrs old without a single problem.

Also if you get it serviced every year, I wouldn't let the tech put gauges on it everytime. You will lose refrigerant over time and also makes your schrader cores weak. As long as you have a good split, no reason to check pressures.

Check your contactor for pits as well loose connections where the terminal stab on. Plus what the guys said above with coils and filters.

On 2/25/2016 at 9:35 AM, cbryant11 said:

The whole reason to use a filter is to protect the equipment, not clean the air for comfort or a clean house. Its to keep dirt out of the coils and motors, if you take a filter you are using and pour salt on it, see how much falls through, when people say pleated filters plug up to fast its because they are doing their job, just change it more frequently it means it trapping that dirt and saving the expensive equipment that you have.

One word... well, maybe two. Dog hair. We have two dogs and the "filter" didn't catch the dog hair and it got into the coils. What a freakin' nightmare. I built a box to install pleated filters that sealed around the edges and we have not had a problem since. I change  them at least every two months. I'm not worried about a little dirt that gets past the filter, I'm worried about dog hair. Same with your refrigerator, clean the dog hair out of the coils and all is good.

Regular filter changes and service before summer and before winter...especially if it is a heat pump.

Why is a five year old dead thread coming back to life? 

• Like 1