Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Thawing, grinding, and refreezing?

I've always wanted to make my own elk burger, so I decided to start this year. I have several large freezer bags of elk meat I already cut into small chunks and froze back in December. I finally have my grinder and want to make some elk burger. Would it be ok to slightly thaw the meat to where I can break the chunks apart, grind/mix with a little beef fat, and refreeze? I really don't want to grind a pound at a time as I use it.

Thaw it all the way. Grind it up. You can thaw and re freeze meat as much as you want. As long as you don't let it spoil. The myth about throwing away meat that has been frozen and thawed is just that. A myth. Thaw it out completely, and while it is still cold grind it up. Then package and re freeze. Lark

• Like 4

I had the same concern when I started processing my own meat and did a lot of research. You shouldn't have any problems, especially since you know the history of the meat. It might be a greater concern for store bought meat because you have no way of knowing how many times that meat might have been thawed, left out sitting, etc.

I have a 3/4 HP LEM grinder, and it chews through frozen meat like warm butter. I've found that it is easiest to cut up, grind, etc if you let it thaw just slightly. Do this so it is not like cutting a solid block of ice. Completely thawed meat doesn't cut as nicely, and it is more difficult to feed through the grinder. Partially frozen meat also helps to keep the grinder cool.

Good luck!!!

Here are a couple of threads from some of my meat processing adventures.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/56953-sausage-fest-and-meat-grinder-review/?hl=%2Bsausage+%2Bfest

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/61419-long-day-of-processing-meat/

• Like 1

I had the same concern when I started processing my own meat and did a lot of research. You shouldn't have any problems, especially since you know the history of the meat. It might be a greater concern for store bought meat because you have no way of knowing how many times that meat might have been thawed, left out sitting, etc.

I have a 3/4 HP LEM grinder, and it chews through frozen meat like warm butter. I've found that it is easiest to cut up, grind, etc if you let it thaw just slightly. This was it is not like cutting a solid block of ice. Completely thawed meat doesn't cut as nicely, and it is more difficult to feed through the grinder. Partially frozen meat also helps to keep the grinder cool.

Good luck!!!

This is how we did my whitetail from last year. My buddy has a big commercial grade meat grinder and it chewed through half-frozen meat like it was butter, but the stuff that's completely thawed tends to get gummy, smashed up around all the moving parts and just clogged the thing up.

• Like 2

agree dont thaw all the way the grinder where blow right threw it if its really cold ...mix it up and seal and refreeze...

• Like 2

Good to go. I always buy a big, fatty ribeye roast and do 70% game, 30% beef when I make my burger.

At Walmart I buy a 3 pound package of bacon end cuts and scrap pieces for around $7. I grind one of those per 25-30 pounds of meat. It makes outstanding burger.

• Like 5

If you know where to buy really good chorizo mix it in with some of the meat. Great for any mexican food,tacos etc.

Good to go. I always buy a big, fatty ribeye roast and do 70% game, 30% beef when I make my burger.

At Walmart I buy a 3 pound package of bacon end cuts and scrap pieces for around $7. I grind one of those per 25-30 pounds of meat. It makes outstanding burger.

+1 to adding something fatty to it. Freezing/dethawing naturally takes moisture out of the meat. Throw some stuff in like mentioned above (bacon would be my choice) and your meat will takes so much better once you do decide to cook it.