Sign in to follow this  
Explorer

Hunter pool/ population management hunts

Anybody ever drawn for these? Dont hear much about it.

Not sure how it's going now - I drew when the program first started - for elk

totally sucked - waste of time - basically I was the 3rd hunt in area - which they didn't advise

no real maps to show the area to hunt - g&f was no help at all

no animals seen during hunting hrs .

It may have improved!?

I know of one guy who was called and met a game warden at a local ranch and killed a bear that was eating calves.. Besides that I have not heard much about it. Seems like another money making flop.

My last elk depredation tag was gmu 1, and OTC and first come first serve in 1994. Got a nice cow near Big Lake. My how times have changed.

My brother got called for the 5A/5B Raymond tag for the escaped buffalo. Hunted hard for the last 9 days of December (the entire hunt) with very little help from G$F. We felt like we got robbed especially when the Raymond G$F officer wouldn't answer the phone or meet with us. Even seen the G$F plane surveying the area during our hunt. I know there were people that got it done before our hunt and after our hunt so maybe we just aren't very good hunters but we did expect a little more help from G$F.

Same year my brother got called to buy an archery bear tag to help with nuisance bears in a little town down south. Bought the tag and was given the unit managers number. Gave him a call and he said not to come down until he called us. Never received a call.

Won't be bias and I will say my dad bought the cow/ yearling buffalo tag for the house rock hunt in July of 2006 when they called and offered the tag. G$F was with the 4 hunters the whole time and he killed on the last night of the hunt. I believe two other people killed that hunt, and one was a young boy who's dad passed the tag. He missed a couple times and they left early.

That's our experiences with the pool tags. It is what it is I guess.

A friend shot a 365" velvet 6x7 pretty much in town in Eagar on one of those a few years back. Seemed real legit to me

Lettuce field deer tag now that's funny

The guys who shot some big a$$ mule deer were laughing all the way up to their big bucks too.