Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Elk hammer

Yeah - way under the impact thresholds for optimum performance for both so the drifts are misleading under a hunting circumstance...

Oh for heck sakes. It was only an example what an improved BC can do for you. Pick a caliber I don't care which one and the results will be the same. Nothing misleading about the drifts at all. The higher BC bullet will always have less. Always. The only thing that's way under threshold in this thread is your Stanford - Binet test scores.

FYI you wanted to know what difference a .400 vs. .500 BC would be. The bullets I compared closely match those parameters while staying caliber specific for an apples to apples comparison. I'm sorry you didn't like the answers.

Stomp--- You should stop trying to educate people that already know everything. Your knowledge falls on deaf ears. Those of us that care about ballistics, and bullet bc's are wasteing our time understanding it. Point your gun at the animal, pull the trigger and the animal dies is much simpler to understand.

FYI you wanted to know what difference a .400 vs. .500 BC would be. The bullets I compared closely match those parameters while staying caliber specific for an apples to apples comparison. I'm sorry you didn't like the answers.

why you yelling at me lol

Sorry got mixed up in who I was talking to.

Oh for heck sakes. It was only an example what an improved BC can do for you. Pick a caliber I don't care which one and the results will be the same. Nothing misleading about the drifts at all. The higher BC bullet will always have less. Always. The only thing that's way under threshold in this thread is your Stanford - Binet test scores.

grin...take a big deep breath chief. This is all fun stuff. Don't take it so seriously. Not sure what my IQ is but owning my own business and getting to hunt and shoot steel 4 months a year must mean I'm doing something right, right?

you've bought into the long range hunting deal hook, line and sinker. I love me some BC but come on...Congrats?

Trust me bud, I burn just a scootch of powder as well and get in the woods just a fair "bit" and even shoot at pretty far distances regularly. You can do your ballistic lecture on 99% of the folks here but there are people out there that you don't know who are pretty savvy cats as well.

No need for the ballistics 101 lecture. I asked velocities simply because I was in traffic and typing on phone. Thank you so much for those hard to calculate numbers.

The numbers you cited earlier are misleading simply because no one should ever shoot a Nosler Partition at a critter with an impact velocity slightly above 1400 fps. That's just irresponsible and way below the mimimum for bullet function which makes the wind drift look worse than it should be. But now that you mention it, you may not care what a bullet's impact velocity is. Didn't you shoot a deer at over 1200 yards or something with a 140 Amax from a 6.5-284 a few years back? I'm not on here a whole lot but remember you typing a big story about it and me shaking my head. With a 2950 MV, that puts the impact at under 1400 fps. Perfect.

The Partition load you cited is a 600 yard load at most so compare the drift numbers at the NP load at 600 with the Berger load at 700 (approximately where I'm guessing it falls below 1800 fps and the performance that Eric at Berger recommends as minimum impact (guessing as my ballistic program just took a dump on me and am having to reboot). The drift is far less of a practical difference which any reticle/turret combo of today's golden age of optics can easily account for. And you still need to read the wind regardless of BC although a higher BC can allow you to be a more sucky wind reader.

Yes, BC matters a lot but when tags are being punched it is no way even on the list of things that will make someone successful. Not even close.

The point is that BC is so far down the list of what someone needs to worry about when going to kill something it's not even funny. You think that everyone who doesn't shoot the highest BC bullet possible is just not very smart while giving the impression that a bullet's BC makes up for lots of hunter incompetencies. This is simply not the case but it seems like you are trying to make up for something.

Here are just a very small sampling of critters from the past year or so that weren't shot with the highest most bestest BC possible.

Happy Shooting!

.338 and 250 Berger

IMG_4814_zpsgpzujaxj.jpg

.270 and 140 Berger

IMG_20150904_073354504_zpsqelw7y7b.jpg

.280 Ackley Improved and 140 Accubond

IMG_0131_zpslh3anr94.jpg

A muzzleloader! GASP!

DSC00773_zpsrli0munj.jpg

7-08 and 140 Bergers

IMG_4746_zpsjtpnloai.jpg

Even my wife can do it! With a 7-08 and a 140 E-tip. This deer never left his bed...

IMG_20151108_163128778_zpsgbkko4w8.jpg

dang, she did it again this year! Pink guns make the bullet drift at least 10% further..grin...

IMG_20151204_085752758_zps63ootyeh.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe we should petition the azgfd to make a minimum bc requirement to make up for all the guys that are too stupid to realize how important it is. Call skinny bc's "unethical". That one always works. Could even add auction tags with the money going to bc sensitive groups. Lark

Stomp--- You should stop trying to educate people that already know everything. Your knowledge falls on deaf ears. Those of us that care about ballistics, and bullet bc's are wasteing our time understanding it. Point your gun at the animal, pull the trigger and the animal dies is much simpler to understand.

Knowledge on deaf ears like plugging numbers in a ballistic program? Whew, that's a toughie....

PS - Vortex does indeed suck. They gave a warranty for a reason, as does Leupold which can't make a scope that RTZ or tracks worth two craps...

Wow I could post pics of dead critters too but it still wouldn't change the fact that higher BCs will drift less in the wind, retain more energy and provide flatter trajectories. This is proven scientifically beyond a doubt. I have never once in this thread said that you "have" to shoot a higher BC bullet I have only been proving the advantages of doing so. I also never said any one should shoot a partition at that range. What I posted was simply a what if scenario to show what can be accomplished with a higher BC. Don't take things so personally and seriously it's only the internet. Step outside and go shoot a ballistically inferior bullet at something, take a picture and calm down.

And yes I did kill a deer at over 1200 yards and I didn't need a super duper magnum to do it. A high BC bullet was used though and it worked like a champ.

You're arguing against yourself bud. Hook, line, and sinker for sure. You'd make a super Gunwerks spokesman. Again, the ballistics 101 lecture not needed unless you need to keep hearing yourself say it.

You didn't say you need the highest BC bullet possible on THIS thread but every cartridge thread that comes up in my limited reading on here you say something to that effect.

Keep relying on that BC my man. It'll bring the critters to you. I'm not sure I'd brag a whole lot about that 1200 yard AMax shot. You'll impress the road hunters likely but that bullet at that speed even with the BC is a disaster waiting to happen in that cartridge...

In all seriousness, this is all in good fun. Take a deep breath and go load up some 250 grain Bergers so you won't have to hike to that next hill, just shoot over it!

Don't worry Big or Bust, the ballistic expert badmouthed me a while back for hunting with a .338 Lapua and asked why i don't just shoot a grenade launcher. You would think a "BC Guru" would agree with shooting it.

I will never deny the .338 Lapua offers outstanding ballistics but I will defend to my dying breath that it is not needed to hunt elk or especially these little deer. There comes a point where it becomes more compensation than anything else. I for one am very comfortable with the size of my whoop stick. Those with itty bitty ones shoot .338 lapuas.

So that's what this is about. A weaner/caliber deal. Nothing to do with bc at all. I said if I was gonna get a new elk rifle it'd be a lapua and you don't like big guns. Now I see. Took me awhile. I guess when I used my .375 for deer and elk this year I was way outta line. So much for free agency. I'm ordering a lapua tomorrow and I'm gonna put high bc kill photos all over this site. Are you really Marco Rubio? Infatuated with weaners? Is there a weaner:caliber chart so a guy knows what kinda rifle he can have if his weaner is a certain size? Man, there is so much to know now. I take it back. In all my years o' shootin', I never figgerd that one out. From now on I ain't never axin' nobody what kinda gun they shoot because I'm afraid they'll see me trying to get a look at their groinal bulge, or lack of it. I guess I can't never use nothin' but a .22 from now on. Lark

So, it's unethical to hunt with a .338 but totally fine to lob rainbows at 1200 yards out of a 6.5? Haha, what a piece of work. Got backed into a corner and bring out the oldest insult in the book, the ol' compensation joke. I also drive a lifted truck. Man, i must be 5' tall and hung like a mosquito.

• Like 1