Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Elk hammer

I'm

Building a .300 WM for the sole purpose of crushing elk. What bullet would be your top choice? I want something that 1) is readily available and not something that I have to back order a year advance and 2) I don't have to jam into the lands to get to fly straight.

I'm Really looking hard at the Hornady Eld-x. I thinks either they the 200 or 212 grain. The other one I'm looking at us the tipped Sierra.

I would look at those 230 bergers

A 300 is plenty for elk although a 338 LM is sweet

In fact I would have no problem shooting a full grown bull with my .308 win at 500 yards.

180 grain nosler ballistic tip is what I use in my 300 wm. I've shot bulls out to 600 yards with that bullet and all one shot kills. I did shoot a bull with a 180 gr nosler partition at 330 yards and the bullet zipped right threw him and had to shoot him multiple times because the bullet would not expand.

210 SMK, 215 Berger Hybrid, 210 HVLD. They are all far more readily available right now than the 212 ELD-X. And should easily push to 2900+fps. I have taken, or seen game taken with the 210 HVLD and 210 SMK. I have been working up a load with the 215 Hybrids on the off chance I ever draw a bull tag.

• Like 2

200 grain Nosler AccuBond--shot one lengthwise through the largest-bodied elk I have ever taken, using a .300 WSM. The bullet exited after traversing about 6 ft of elk. Easy to work with, too. I am now shooting them in a .300 Win mag. I load them as long as they will reliably feed from the magazine and don't worry about trying to kiss the lands.

• Like 1

What is the minimum velocity the accubond needs to reliably open up?