Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Elk hammer

A bullet's BC is simply a hunter's tool. Just like good bins, a knife, or a tent. It absolutely doesn't make up for hunting know how or a fat azz not wanting to hike half a mile because he thinks he can shoot that far...

Some people think that a bigger cartridge or a high BC bullet makes up for them sucking as a hunter. It absolutely does not regardless what they have read in Field and Stream magazine or how high they scored at their last range match on their beanbags...

• Like 1

Better BC will always make the same shooter a better shooter at longer distances...doesn't have anything to do with being a better hunter. Different comparisons...geesh

I think I will stay with what I know. The Amax. In my 7mm mag I seat the 162 grain at just off the lands (-.025) and it works great. I've shot everything from from pigs to Barbary sheep to mature mule deer bucks with it and they dropped in their tracks. The 208 grain Amax or the ELD should be adequate. I wish they made the SST in 210 grain.

I think I will stay with what I know. The Amax. In my 7mm mag I seat the 162 grain at just off the lands (-.025) and it works great. I've shot everything from from pigs to Barbary sheep to mature mule deer bucks with it and they dropped in their tracks. The 208 grain Amax or the ELD should be adequate. I wish they made the SST in 210 grain.

I would definitely take a hard look at the Eld-x 212 grain. I'm trying to get some for my 300 rum.

Depending on the caliber and the cartridge you could be looking at a few feet of drop and 2 feet of windage at longer ranges. While drop is not hard to deal with the wind drift is the critical difference with long range shots where a couple of inches could mean a less than ideal shot placement or a miss.

Take for example the .270 Winchester and a deer at 800 Yards.

Hunter #1 is shooting a 140gr Nosler Partition at 3000 fps with a BC of .405 in standard conditions

Drop at 800 yards = 183 inches

10mph wind drift at 800 yards = 65 inches

Retained Energy at 800 yards = 628 ft lbs

Hunter # 2 is also shooting a 270 Winchester but he is using a 140gr Berger VLD at 3000 fps with a BC of .487 in standard conditions

Drop at 800 yards = 162 inches

10mph wind drift at 800 yards = 51 inches

Retained Energy at 800 yards = 827 ft lbs

.082 difference in BC alone accounts for 21 inches of less drop, 14 inches of less drift and 200 ft lbs more energy at 800 yards in favor of the bullet with the higher BC. Keep in mind this is just a comparison of bullets with the same weight just different shapes. If hunter #2 was using an even heavier for caliber bullet say 150gr the numbers are even greater in his favor. Both bullets will do the job just fine and yes the animal may not know the difference but the shooter sure would. If each hunter were to hold off for wind the same amount Hunter #1 may very will miss that deer at 800 yards. Knowing your rifle and how it performs with whatever bullet you choose is most important but to say a higher BC doesn't really matter is just foolish. Minimizing the environmental effects appllied to your bullet during flight and maximizing the potential on target makes sense to me.

Depending on the caliber and the cartridge you could be looking at a few feet of drop and 2 feet of windage at longer ranges. While drop is not hard to deal with the wind drift is the critical difference with long range shots where a couple of inches could mean a less than ideal shot placement or a miss.

Take for example the .270 Winchester and a deer at 800 Yards.

Hunter #1 is shooting a 140gr Nosler Partition at 3000 fps with a BC of .405 in standard conditions

Drop at 800 yards = 183 inches

10mph wind drift at 800 yards = 65 inches

Retained Energy at 800 yards = 628 ft lbs

Hunter # 2 is also shooting a 270 Winchester but he is using a 140gr Berger VLD at 3000 fps with a BC of .487 in standard conditions

Drop at 800 yards = 162 inches

10mph wind drift at 800 yards = 51 inches

Retained Energy at 800 yards = 827 ft lbs

.082 difference in BC alone accounts for 21 inches of less drop, 14 inches of less drift and 200 ft lbs more energy at 800 yards in favor of the bullet with the higher BC. Keep in mind this is just a comparison of bullets with the same weight just different shapes. If hunter #2 was using an even heavier for caliber bullet say 150gr the numbers are even greater in his favor. Both bullets will do the job just fine and yes the animal may not know the difference but the shooter sure would. If each hunter were to hold off for wind the same amount Hunter #1 may very will miss that deer at 800 yards. Knowing your rifle and how it performs with whatever bullet you choose is most important but to say a higher BC doesn't really matter is just foolish. Minimizing the environmental effects appllied to your bullet during flight and maximizing the potential on target makes sense to me.

What are your 800 yard impact velocities for both comparison loads that you left out?

1422 fps for the Nosler Partition

1631 fps for the Berger VLD

Yeah - way under the impact thresholds for optimum performance for both so the drifts are misleading under a hunting circumstance...