Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Elk hammer

So, it's unethical to hunt with a .338 but totally fine to lob rainbows at 1200 yards out of a 6.5? Haha, what a piece of work. Got backed into a corner and bring out the oldest insult in the book, the ol' compensation joke. I also drive a lifted truck. Man, i must be 5' tall and hung like a mosquito.

Easy there! I am 5' tall and drive a big lifted truck......and shoot a .300RUM.....guess I need to buy a .338 Lapua Mag Ackley Imp. now. Maybe even a .408 Cheytec.

• Like 1

Never said anything about being unethical just not needed. I love how you guys keep putting words in my mouth. And I love how you keep proving my point. Let me ask you this. Why are you shooting .338 lapuas? List me a few reasons and then ask why it's so bad I suggest heavy for caliber high BC bullets for the .300.

I will never deny the .338 Lapua offers outstanding ballistics but I will defend to my dying breath that it is not needed to hunt elk or especially these little deer. There comes a point where it becomes more compensation than anything else. I for one am very comfortable with the size of my whoop stick. Those with itty bitty ones shoot .338 lapuas.

You literally have proven your own BC preaching nothing but a way to impress the road hunters. Until you started preaching to the wrong crowd.

Lark is right, it never was about the BC. Funny stuff.

I'll let you keep digging that hole now...

So, it's unethical to hunt with a .338 but totally fine to lob rainbows at 1200 yards out of a 6.5? Haha, what a piece of work. Got backed into a corner and bring out the oldest insult in the book, the ol' compensation joke. I also drive a lifted truck. Man, i must be 5' tall and hung like a mosquito.

Easy there! I am 5' tall and drive a big lifted truck......and shoot a .300RUM.....guess I need to buy a .338 Lapua Mag Ackley Imp. now. Maybe even a .408 Cheytec.

Lance, that's the only logical next step...

• Like 1

OP asks about .300 mag, instead gets CW member penis sizes.

which by the way, my elk gun is .257 weatherby so ill let you just use your imagination

• Like 3

This past season I saw a really big bull get dropped in his tracks like he'd been head shot at almost 700 yards with a lapua. Only it was all lungs and organs. No spine. Killed him like a brain shot. Hit the ground, rolled over and crushed a dead piñon. That's why I said if I was gonna get a new elk gun it'd be a Lapua. Seen a couple hundred Bulls killed over the years with any kinda cartridge there is. That was the most impressive thing I've ever seen. Whine all ya want about too big. When you're elk hunting, putting them down right there is real important. The lapua does that. Guy axed what kinda rifle to get. In my opinion, get a .338 lapua. I don't give a $h!t what the bc is and neither did the elk. He just knew he was all the sudden in Valhalla. One more time, and I have some experience with elk, if I was gonna get a new elk rifle, it'd be a lapua. Probly a savage. That or I'd call western precision and have Brent make me one. Piss on bc and any other number you can write on paper. The lapua works. It doesn't weigh a ton. It doesn't use 100 grains of powder. They make all kinds a good bullets for it. It's real powerful stuff for elk. Lark

• Like 1

So again your saying without actually saying it is that you are shooting or going to be shooting a Lapua because it works so great at long range and drops elk where they stand and yet claim you don't care what the BC is. I hate to say it but you really can't have one without the other. Bigger caliber, heaver bullet results in a higher BC just the way it works. Make that same shot with a .300 or any other suitable caliber for that matter and the bull would have likely died just as quickly. As you have pointed out so many times before it helps when you hit them in the right place. Just to clarify a bit the O.P. asked what bullet to shoot out of his .300 Win Mag. The fact that you can't answer a simple question such as what bullet proves you are a lot dumber than I have previously given you credit for. Anyone here with half a brain and who has done even a little bit of shooting understands the point I am trying to make. If you are half as good as you claim you are and done half the hunting and shooting you claim you have, you know I'm right too. You just don't want to admit here in front of all your friends. I'm tired of explaining myself over and over again on this topic, It's obvious there is no getting through and no one especially the O.P. is getting anything out of this.

I don't know stomp442 I've gotten a pretty good laugh out of it. I teach violin to children and this is more chaotic than a class full of ten year olds with bows and strings.

• Like 1

I think I will stay with what I know. The Amax. In my 7mm mag I seat the 162 grain at just off the lands (-.025) and it works great. I've shot everything from from pigs to Barbary sheep to mature mule deer bucks with it and they dropped in their tracks. The 208 grain Amax or the ELD should be adequate. I wish they made the SST in 210 grain.

I would definitely take a hard look at the Eld-x 212 grain. I'm trying to get some for my 300 rum.

The 220 and 200 grain eld-x are available but the 212 is hard to find.

• Like 1

I think I will stay with what I know. The Amax. In my 7mm mag I seat the 162 grain at just off the lands (-.025) and it works great. I've shot everything from from pigs to Barbary sheep to mature mule deer bucks with it and they dropped in their tracks. The 208 grain Amax or the ELD should be adequate. I wish they made the SST in 210 grain.

I would definitely take a hard look at the Eld-x 212 grain. I'm trying to get some for my 300 rum.
The 220 and 200 grain eld-x are available but the 212 is hard to find.
I know. Probably gonna get some heat for this but I want the 212 because of the BC.
  • Like 1