Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Building My Reloading Bench

I made some progress on my reloading bench yesterday after I went shooting. Progress was cut short because my son was itching to break down and clean the 30-30. He is in the East Valley Young Marines. They did a brass cleanup for a cowboy shooting competition out at Rio Salado. When he was done with the cleanup he was begging me to work on my lever gun. I think I will be gifting the 30-30 to him for an 8th grade graduation gift if he keeps his grades at straight A's for the rest of the year.

post-13685-0-79259800-1459094057_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-57025400-1459094077_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-13082800-1459094104_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Made some more progress on the bench. The bench is pretty much done. I just need to mount the press and organize the rest of the reloading equipment. Next, it is time to start reloading. Looking forward to learning the skill and shrinking my groups.

post-13685-0-24184700-1459319044_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-63377600-1459319058_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-24259000-1459319083_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-82912600-1459319096_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Little safety note, if you get any powder in the carpet I wouldn't vacuum it. Be very careful with that one. Looks very good.

• Like 1

do you have the reloading equipment already or still shopping around? bench looks really good, great work

Way nicer than mine!

you might think about about doubling up the plywood where you plan on mounting the press.

• Like 2

Great looking bench!!! I have one of the two work benches you joined up. I like the idea of having both together.

x2 for reinforcing wherever you put the press. I used a section of 2x8 and attached it with bolts facing up. Let's me move the press and put my hand trimmer on the block.

Good luck!

My advice....put additional lighting directly above the bench, maybe just a touch in front to shine on the front of your equipment. And more storage space....the drawers are nice for the smaller items like scale, trickler, shell holders, trimmers, tools, etc. But bulk items like powder, primers, bullets, shell boxes, etc, need bigger storage space. Like cabinets, school lockers, etc.

I appreciate all the suggestions. At this point I only have a single layer of 3/4" oak plywood where the press is mounted. The press seems to be very stable and I am not sure I will need to add additional support. I guess time will tell as I start reloading. I was going to build the entire bench, but Lowe's had these work benches on sale for $159.00. I am going to be installing lighting in the ceiling as well. There is a closet to the right of the bench. I plan on building shelving in the closet for all the powder, etc.

I am really looking forward to learning how to reload. I can see it becoming addicting. As soon as I can afford it, I will need to get a chronograph. Here is a pic with the press mounted and some of the equipment.

post-13685-0-82997900-1459473770_thumb.jpg

Reloading is definitely addicting. That striving for the extra 20fps or .05" accuracy. Using the latest and greatest bullets on the market. More penetration or less wind drift.

I agree with the need to beef up the area where the press is bolted down. You will start to crack the plywood rather quickly without it. A lot of force is applied to the press when resizing cases.

• Like 1

Yep, more support at the press. 3/4" plywood won't last long.

Yep, more support at the press. 3/4" plywood won't last long.

I think I will be taking the advice of others and adding the additional support. I'll be in California for the next week helping out family, so it'll have to wait til I return.