Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Unit 33 Goulds

In the mid-1950s, a friend and I shot a couple of turkeys in the basin where they eventually built Rose Canyon Lake. Other places we hunted were on Oracle Ridge (above Peppersauce Canyon), around the Burney Mine, and upper Canyon del Oro.

We didn't hunt turkeys there, but we also spooked a flock while hunting lions above the rock piles east of what now is the town of Catalina.

The birds we hunted were said to be descendants of Merriam's turkeys introduced to the Catalinas by AZGFD in the 1920s, and as far as I know Merriam's have been always been present on the mountain since then.

This leads to me asking: How can the birds in 33 now be the Gould's subspecies?

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

"Transplants I would assume."

Unless vast numbers of Gould's were released to overwhelm the existing Merriam's population, the birds they're hunting now would hybrids of the two subspecies.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Tell G&F them tree huggers are harassing You and have them arrested....Good luck I'M at 10 points..........BOB!

Who needs that many points??? ;)

Brian

I STILL HATE YOU! :D

Tell G&F them tree huggers are harassing You and have them arrested....Good luck I'M at 10 points..........BOB!

Brian

Its good to be hated every now and then. :)

WhtMtnHunter good luck on your hunt. Ive hunted them three times now, and I want to do it again. Thats how much fun it is.

Brian

In the mid-1950s, a friend and I shot a couple of turkeys in the basin where they eventually built Rose Canyon Lake. Other places we hunted were on Oracle Ridge (above Peppersauce Canyon), around the Burney Mine, and upper Canyon del Oro. We didn't hunt turkeys there, but we also spooked a flock while hunting lions above the rock piles east of what now is the town of Catalina. The birds we hunted were said to be descendants of Merriam's turkeys introduced to the Catalinas by AZGFD in the 1920s, and as far as I know Merriam's have been always been present on the mountain since then. This leads to me asking: How can the birds in 33 now be the Gould's subspecies? Bill Quimby

I think I remember reading that all the Merriams died off in the 80's in the Catalinas for some reason.

Brian

Its good to be hated every now and then. :)

WhtMtnHunter good luck on your hunt. Ive hunted them three times now, and I want to do it again. Thats how much fun it is.

Brian

Thanks Mr. standman! I'm getting really excited!

In the mid-1950s, a friend and I shot a couple of turkeys in the basin where they eventually built Rose Canyon Lake. Other places we hunted were on Oracle Ridge (above Peppersauce Canyon), around the Burney Mine, and upper Canyon del Oro. We didn't hunt turkeys there, but we also spooked a flock while hunting lions above the rock piles east of what now is the town of Catalina. The birds we hunted were said to be descendants of Merriam's turkeys introduced to the Catalinas by AZGFD in the 1920s, and as far as I know Merriam's have been always been present on the mountain since then. This leads to me asking: How can the birds in 33 now be the Gould's subspecies? Bill Quimby

I'm glad I'm not the only one questioning the species of these birds, a friend of mine and I hunted the Merriam's on Mt. Lemmon back in the early 70's. I brought this to the attention of the GnF 3 years ago and they would not hear any of it it the same is true for the Chiricahua's.

• Like 2

There were still Merriams in the Catalina's when they reintroduced the Goulds. Not many, but they were still being seen.

"I think I remember reading that all the Merriams died off in the 80's in the Catalinas for some reason."

I was the Tucson Citizen's outdoor editor from 1967 to 1994, and I can say with confidence that the Merriam's turkeys in unit 33 were alive, well, and thriving during all of my tenure at that newspaper.

If something happened to eliminate the entire population of Merriam's turkeys on that mountain, it happened after I retired and stopped closely following southern Arizona's hunting and fishing happenings.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

"I think I remember reading that all the Merriams died off in the 80's in the Catalinas for some reason." I was the Tucson Citizen's outdoor editor from 1967 to 1994, and I can say with confidence that the Merriam's turkeys in unit 33 were alive, well, and thriving during all of my tenure at that newspaper. If something happened to eliminate the entire population of Merriam's turkeys on that mountain, it happened after I retired and stopped closely following southern Arizona's hunting and fishing happenings. Bill Quimby

Interesting! Perhaps it was the Aspen Fire that hurt or eliminated them? My tag just says "Bearded Turkey" , but I really applied and want to make sure I get a Goulds. Any quick way to identify them?

I doubt many hunters could quickly spot the differences between a Merriam's and Gould's coming to their calls. I know I couldn't. The Gould's is supposed to be larger, have bigger feet, longer legs, and wider tail feathers. There also is supposed to be some differences in their coloration. Both have more white on their "fans" than the other subspecies. Bill Quimby

I gotta believe there was some Merriams left there. Real hard for a whole MTN, of turkeys to die off. Even with the fire. Most escape. And Brian I hate You too untill I get a Goulds tag.............BOB!