Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Unit 33 Goulds

I want a tag so bad!!!!!!! 18 points and counting...

• Like 1

I want a tag so bad!!!!!!! 18 points and counting...

Wow 18 points, I'm afraid to tell you how many Gould's tags my friend and I have had combined, all I can say is good luck on the 2017 spring draw. It is a great hunt.

Can't win if you don't play!!! I just want one so then I can hunt merriams with my wife every year or two...

A goulds with my bow and a Osceola and the slam is complete with a bow. Got the place for the Osceola just waiting on one Goulds tag!!

• Like 1

Can't win if you don't play!!! I just want one so then I can hunt merriams with my wife every year or two...

A goulds with my bow and a Osceola and the slam is complete with a bow. Got the place for the Osceola just waiting on one Goulds tag!!

good luck on that slam. The Osceola is the most enjoyable and the most difficult of all the subspecies to hunt, IMHO.

"I think I remember reading that all the Merriams died off in the 80's in the Catalinas for some reason." I was the Tucson Citizen's outdoor editor from 1967 to 1994, and I can say with confidence that the Merriam's turkeys in unit 33 were alive, well, and thriving during all of my tenure at that newspaper. If something happened to eliminate the entire population of Merriam's turkeys on that mountain, it happened after I retired and stopped closely following southern Arizona's hunting and fishing happenings. Bill Quimby

Interesting! Perhaps it was the Aspen Fire that hurt or eliminated them? My tag just says "Bearded Turkey" , but I really applied and want to make sure I get a Goulds. Any quick way to identify them?

Goulds have the most ridiculous deep and interesting gobble I have ever heard. I've watched lots of videos on the birds in 33 and they sound like Goulds to me! Watch some of Jay Scott or Pat Feldt's youtube videos on the birds they have guided up there, versus merriams hunts, I believe they are different. I didnt realize their gobble was different until I heard my first in 35a and I thought it was a jake or something. They sound weird. But then now I'm addicted to them. 16 bonus points and still cant draw. =(

I saw them in peppersauce canyon campground and up in peppersauce canyon this past November ony whitetail hunt.

I saw them in peppersauce canyon campground and up in peppersauce canyon this past November ony whitetail hunt.

good luck on that slam. The Osceola is the most enjoyable and the most difficult of all the subspecies to hunt, IMHO.

My buddy just got back from his osceola hunt. Two birds in 3 days. Said there were tons of birds. He booked next year just cause he had such a good time!

Just looking forward to my sons jr hunt up in 1 in a couple weeks! Always a good time and never had a problem getting into birds!

208muley would you have any contact info on the outfitter he used? I need a Osceola to finish my royal slam. thanks in advance!