Sign in to follow this  
Salty Skroob

Hunters ED - Couple ??

1. How often do they have field days? Saw that there is one coming up if I do the online course, but I'm busy that weekend. Can't find any info regarding how often this is offered - once a month, once a year?

2. Can a youth do the coursework online and then attend field day?

Unfortunately field days can be difficult to get into. You may need to travel around the state if you need to get the field day completed before a paticular hunt. Otherwise you can wait for a local field day.

Yes, youth can take the online course and then attend the field day.

Take the class. It is very educational and fun. The online course is second rate compared to the hands on course with instructors.

• Like 2

Take the class. It is very educational and fun. The online course is second rate compared to the hands on course with instructors.

Agree...especially for youth the hands-on course is much better.

It seems like there is at least 1 a month if not more. My daughter just completed hers at basspro last month.

You have to sign up early cause they fill up fast.

Youth can do the online course then schedule a field day. I personally think the youth get more out of the actual class.

• Like 1

Check out youth outdoors unlimited website for their weekend campout hunter education class. It's usually in July up near happy jack. Best jr class out there! Everything is done in two days, outside and done by a great group of guys. Heck they even feed you! Both my kids did it thru them.

• Like 1

Check out youth outdoors unlimited website for their weekend campout hunter education class. It's usually in July up near happy jack. Best jr class out there! Everything is done in two days, outside and done by a great group of guys. Heck they even feed you! Both my kids did it thru them.

This too...best hands-on course I've seen.

I ran into this with my son we completed the online class and than had issues getting the field day a coues member got me a number of a g and f guy and he got us through the course just in time for his pig Hunt this past January after doing the field day they went over everything that the online course did but my son learned more in four hours at the field day than he did online we did ours at Ben Avery and the instructors were great guys

There is an Online Field Day scheduled for Sunday, May 1, @ the Tri-State Shooting Park in Fort Mohave, AZ (in the Colorado River Valley south of Bullhead City, AZ & north of Needles, CA). This OFD is NOT yet posted on the Hunter Education portion of the azgfd.gov website because staff is working through the draw list to determine how many youth applicants were drawn for permits who do not yet have a Hunter Education Graduation Card to the Department's knowledge. As soon as that process is completed and the potential students are notified, that class will post up.

All of the Hunter Ed Teams around the state are made up of volunteers. Many, if not most, of the volunteer instructors are passionate hunters and participants of various shooting sports and all have lives outside of their Hunter Education Instructor volunteer positions. With various turkey hunting seasons currently open and more opening soon, lots of these instructors are out in the field. Others are involved in running shooting activities or instruction at various ranges or participating in archery programs. Many more have kids involved in youth sports, rodeos, 4-H activities and the like. Others are cranked up hitting the waters as fishing season is in full swing. My suggestion is to diligently watch the Hunter Education page on the azgfd.gov web portal and get yourself and your loved ones needing or wanting a class registered as soon as you see one with open seats. You need to get in when the getting in can be had! That said, please do not book a seat if you are not going to attend, as happens too often. No shows take a seat that could have been filled by a student who wanted to participate.

Good luck to everyone this coming hunting season and take a kid hunting!

Jim Rich

Chief Hunter Education Instructor

Region III Volunteer Hunter Education Team

• Like 1

Thanks Jim,

That answers my question exactly. Was wondering if I was looking in the wrong places, but it just looks like there is no master list months out in advance.

Thanks again. I'll get the online portion filled out and then sign up when I find a time/date that works for us.

I just finished mine. If the field day is in phx or Mesa that list won't last more than 24 hours. You need to check the online daily! Daily!!!!!!!!!! Once you see it jump on ASAP

The one day nonresident supplemental classroom course had been posted for sigups for well over a month now. April 23 in Golden Valley @ 7 Mile Hill Shooting Range. No online course necesary, this is a one day blitz class for nonresidents that already hold a hunter ed card from another state and want to complete the AZ Hunter Ed Card to earn the Permanent Hunter Education Bonus Point. This is NOT a class for youngsters unde age 14, way too fast paced and too much material covered for kids. There are seats open in that class at the moment.

What i mean is sometimes it's really hard to just pack up and drive 1800 miles for an hunters safety course when your working to save money so you can do it on the fall.