rossislider

Units 1/27 Turkey Youth Camp

Only a few more days till my buddy and I head up with our boys to the youth turkey camp in unit 1. The location was just officially announced this past week. Looks like it will be in the same place as last year.

Who else is going up?

Good luck to your son Shawn. Can't wait to see some pictures. My pleasure meeting you both the other night at the turkey seminar. :)

TJ

• Like 1

We'll be up in unit 1 this weekend with the boys again this year. We had a blast the past few years and it is truly my favorite hunt of the year. We usually go south of Big Lake but they are not opening SR 273 and 261 until friday afternoon so not sure where we will go Friday morning yet. Is the youth camp the one on the 117 road?

Taking youth on this hunt was some of the funnest hunts I've ever been on. I sure miss those days.

Brian

I'll be hunting unit 1 with my nephew on Saturday.

We will be up there somewhere. Good luck everyone, and thanks to all the parents and mentors getting the kids out there.

Email update on the Unit 1 camp I received this morning:

Hello Everyone,
I am letting you all know that the decision was made to move the Jr. Turkey camp location back to Forest Road (FR) 117 at Sheep Corral. It was decided that the site off FR 116 is too muddy and we will just end up tearing up that site. With the camp location move we are encouraging people to disperse camps down FR 117 C and further North west on FR 117. We want to minimize the amount of traffic at the actual camp site at the Sheep Corral as much as possible to minimize damage. The camp location will be closed to camping for all but those who are there to assist at camp with cooking and logistics. This will ensure that there is enough room for parking for those who are there for the class portion of camp as well as meal times. As of this evening the site at the Sheep Corral is in pretty good shape and should not be too muddy for those who are at camp for the different activities. I have attached a map of the camp site location for your reference. To get to the camp take Highway 260 east out of Pinetop. About three miles past the Sunrise turn off take Forest road 117 north about 1 mile to the camp. I have also attached an itinerary of the classes that we will be offering during the camp. Please let me know if you have any questions. I can be contacted via email or at the below phone number.
Scott Pike
Youth Outdoors Unlimited
post-6408-0-42772900-1460561525_thumb.png

• Like 1

Looks like a weekend of typical spring turkey weather. Rain, snow,and wind, although sunday and monday dont look bad. Good luck to everyone, enjoy the time with the kiddos!!

Yup my buddy lost a tire between Apache J and Globe, bad road. If you are going thru the Salt River Cyn. fill up at Globe and don't drive off in to the res. looking for gas. LOL