Sign in to follow this  
MuggyMan

Elkalope?

Anyone ever seen elk with a pure white rump? Was up in rim country this weekend and driving out saw something with a pure white rump (no it wasn't a whitetail deer - way too big and no flag) running through some thick ponderosa pines. Didn't get a real good look at it, but it looked like a cow elk to me size and shape of rump. My buddy thought it was a antelope, but I've never seen antelope in that area before so far south. I joked it was an elkalope.

can you descibe the rump ? lol

Often elk hair will turn very white this time of year as it dies and falls out to make room for the summer coat. Especially bulls. Could have been some version of that?

• Like 1

I've seen antelope in the mixed conifer above 7500' up on the Rim. Just never know anymore.

Anyone ever seen elk with a pure white rump? Was up in rim country this weekend and driving out saw something with a pure white rump (no it wasn't a whitetail deer - way too big and no flag) running through some thick ponderosa pines. Didn't get a real good look at it, but it looked like a cow elk to me size and shape of rump. My buddy thought it was a antelope, but I've never seen antelope in that area before so far south. I joked it was an elkalope.

That was the big white girl who had the call of nature and you startled her. Glad there was no red flag.

• Like 1

I saw nothing today, actually. I sat in front of a keyboard jamming out hundreds of emails and several conference calls.

Then I came home to out-of-control kids who didn't want to take one bite of food. Then, the last part of my day was trying to get them ready for bed.

Now, I this is the first few seconds of peace in the day. Nope- no help on the mysterious animal. haha.

• Like 1