Yea

thts what i wanted, but with the front legs up on the rock. will give the Wellers a call. Thanks for the info, mount looks great. OW yours is nice also. I don't think i want a full body, it takes up too much room in my office. Thanks for the photos.

Yea

thts what i wanted, but with the front legs up on the rock. will give the Wellers a call. Thanks for the info, mount looks great. OW yours is nice also. I don't think i want a full body, it takes up too much room in my office. Thanks for the photos.

Elkman,

Yup, they not only take up room, but they also take up a lot of dollars out of one's bank account. :lol:

I saved a couple hundred on mine by building my own base, and it still was $2,500. Marc's doing a life-size wallaby for me now that will over $1,000! -TONY

Good thing I missed that bear last night! :rolleyes: Now I can keep all thoes dollars in my bank! :lol:

I was out in 23s first weekend didnt glass up any bears, bugs were bad and it was really hot. They had hit water in midday as no tracks in the a.m turned to 3 sets by evening. Didnt see any sign of em in the pears. Headin out to 6b if its still open thursday. anyone seeing em in the pears bearin the heat yet? or anyone checked out that far north?

well i got the call today that all trophy hunters hate to get after successfully scouting an animal and harvisting him after a long hard hunt. I was told today that the hide off the bear i took will not be salvagable. We shot him at 6:15 am and had him caped and on ice by 8:30 after the long hike out with the 130 lb head and hide and 260lbs of bonned meat. We made the 4 mile trip out as fast as we could, but i guess it wasn't fast enough.

I feel bad aboout the whole thing. this is the earliest in the year i have killed a bear, and i will never hunt the early season again. It is a shame to loose a bear like that. This guy lived and fed in an area that you could not get him out any quicker than we did. It will be hard to kill another bear of that caliber again. Now the only memory of the hunt will be the skull and pics. O well. Thanks g@f for makeing the season so early

Hey Elkman....that sucks big time dude!! Sorry to hear that! Do you mean 8:30 PM or AM? I'm guessing AM, and you guys are some fast bear skinners! I've butchered and packed a ton of bears and I think the fastest Ive done one is just less than an hour and that's not including caping the head out.....just skinning and boning and loading it all up on frames. It's hard but when I skin a bear I cut real close to the skin so as to leave most of the fat on the carcass and I don't fold it up inside a pack frame or back pack.....let it drape over the frame or pack so the heat isn't trapped. Same for when putting it on ice, I always skin the head out and fold ice between the layers of hide in the ice chest and keep the drain open so it can drain. I know this is all too late, but I have had slippage on some of our bears but never have lost an entire bear! We also never use plastic bags 'cause they hold in heat as well! It must have been noticeably bad if the Taxi didn't even want to try to send it off to the tannery.... but it's always worth a try I would think? You'll still have a huge skull and pics to admire ;) JIM>

I feel bad aboout the whole thing. this is the earliest in the year i have killed a bear, and i will never hunt the early season again. It is a shame to loose a bear like that. This guy lived and fed in an area that you could not get him out any quicker than we did. It will be hard to kill another bear of that caliber again. Now the only memory of the hunt will be the skull and pics. O well. Thanks g@f for makeing the season so early

Elkman- real sorry to hear about your fur/hide not turning out for the mount.

Jim- that's some good info , with the sweltering temps and heat advisories..

AzP&Y

Sorry to hear about the hide Elkman. I am really surprised that it is not salvageable.

I shot a bear during the August hunt in NM one year while I was packed in 12 miles. I skinned it (leaving paws and head in place) and let it cool slightly just from evaporation then packed it up, hiked back to camp and broke that down and then started doing the 9 remaining miles to the truck. Then a 6 hour drive home and popped it in the fridge at 4:00 AM. Brought it to the taxidermist at 8:00AM and got it in a freezer. The taxidermist warned that some hair would probably slip but I said go ahead anyways. Well, the rug turned out perfect without any slippage whatsoever. This was in the gila with daytime temps probably in the upper 80's.

Well the taxi did say he would send it to the tannery, but he didnt feel too good about it. He said the furr around the head ws starting to slip quite a bit. worst place i guss. Back to the advice on the packing out of the bear.

It was A.m. We skinned out the bear but did not cape him till we got back to the truck. On the plastic bags, we did however roll up the hide and wrap it in a bag for the packout. Thats probably where i went wrong. when we got it in the ice I left it in the bag to keep the h2o off the fur, i heard that was bad also. We were back to gilbert by noon. Only six hours,however it was 111 that day. Well i guess i learned a hard lesson. All the other bears weve taken have had no problem doing in the same manner. However they were never in his temperature. Thats early hunting for you i guess. Hopefully the tannery has some good news. O Well

Thanks guys good luck next weekend

Guest 300ultramag.

My taxi told me in august u have 30 min. to put in on ice! thats nearly impossible!