gmcbob

Trout Experts: Wild Tiger Trout in AZ?

Vowell ,that brown You caught is awesome...............BOB!

• Like 1

Vowell ,that brown You caught is awesome...............BOB!

Where you seeing a Brown ? I only see a Cutthroat and rainbow

p.s. Vowell, both great looking fish

• Like 2

St8Shot is right, it's actually a cut and a rainbow. I personally am very excited to see these Tigers in AZ.

Did GF ever get back to you on what the outcome was?

I agree I'm also excited to see Tigers in Az, but I'm PISSED at G&F for introducing a NON-NATIVE fish in Az! Why am I pissed? Becasue G&F has spent the last 10 years killing thousands and thousands of Brown Trout becasue they are NON-NATIVE!!!!!! I guarantee G&F will still continue killing Brown Trout, becasue they are NON-NATIVE while continuing to stock Tiger Trout.

HYPOCRITES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

At this point they do believe it is a wild born Tiger Trout, very rare. It has nothing to do with the tiger trout being raised at Tonto, which are all mature and ready to be stocked. They are still working on it and will get back to me with more info.

• Like 1

Big Browns ... NONE OF THE GAME FISH WE ALL GO AFTER ARE NATIVE SPECIES ... as far as Trout go The Apache and Gila are the only ones that were Native to Arizona .... Gila Trout never that populous have not been reported in AZ for several decades, and there are not many places (most on the WMAR) you will catch Apache trout and even then it is rare you would catch many.

• Like 2

Does anyone have a list of places where they plan to stock the Tigers?

Big Browns ... NONE OF THE GAME FISH WE ALL GO AFTER ARE NATIVE SPECIES ... as far as Trout go The Apache and Gila are the only ones that were Native to Arizona .... Gila Trout never that populous have not been reported in AZ for several decades, and there are not many places (most on the WMAR) you will catch Apache trout and even then it is rare you would catch many.

There are actually several locations in both AZ and NM with Gila trout, which have been stocked since at least 2000. All of them are not opened to fishing yet, but Frye Mesa has been opened since 2011. New Mexico also has waters open to Gila trout fishing. In addition to the WM res, the Little Colorado near Greer has Apache trout fishing, as do several other streams on state controlled land.

Looks like becker lake, carnero lake, and i think wood's canyon is what they said.

Does anyone have a list of places where they plan to stock the Tigers?

The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AGFD) will be stocking tiger trout in late April or early May, into the following Mogollon Rim/White Mountains lakes: Becker, Carnero, Willow Springs and Woods Canyon.

I know what species are native and not native. I don't have a problem with the non-native species they have been stocking for decades. My problem is G&F constantly states they need to remove non-native species from waters so native fish can survive! They have poisned a lot of amazing trout streams, because the stream had to many browns. Now they want to introduce a non-native species that has NEVER been in Az. Again, they are being Hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, I think stocking Tiger Trout is a great idea! I'm only stating how G&F has killed thousands of Browns & Rainbows, becasue they are non-native and now they are stocking a non-native trout. It's Bull $hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

there are not many places (most on the WMAR) you will catch Apache trout and even then it is rare you would catch many.

There are plenty of places in AZ to catch lots of Apache trout both on and off the res if you target them, in both streams and lakes. I have caught to many to count. Like Big Browns I like catching brown trout and since they spawn at different times of the year I have no problem with them inhabiting the same water. Rainbows are a different story and should not occupy the same streams as apache trout. Tiger trout cant reproduce so they should technically be able to stock them anywhere. If you have never caught a tiger before you are in for a treat. They fight harder than any other trout I have ever caught. Hopefully a few will be able to survive a few years to grow larger than the 10" to 12" stocking size. Here is a picture of one of many I caught in Utah a few years ago.

P7011929_zpsdjgqlql2.jpg

• Like 4

Adam you sure it's game and fish? I heard its the USDA Wildlife services mandating them to kill off the non natives? Game and fish takes the heat for doing all the work.