Sign in to follow this  
bunhead

Are they done gobbling?

We hunted 6B last weekend for 4 days and nada. Seems like they weren't gobbling even if we could have heard them over the howling wind. It feels like they rutted early. Looks like some members did ok though. I'm wondering if it's worth going out on our second hunt 5-6/19 or if they're done breeding already. Any thoughts?

The later part of the hunt is the best time to be in the woods... No hunters and when the hens go to the nest, all the remaining gobblers will be looking for love. Be patient, use decoys, and be prepared for what might be a silent approach....

• Like 8

Do the goulds turkey breed later or is it about the same time. Headed out today with my dad for his goulds hunt that starts Tmro

• Like 1

We hunted 6B last weekend for 4 days and nada. Seems like they weren't gobbling even if we could have heard them over the howling wind. It feels like they rutted early. Looks like some members did ok though. I'm wondering if it's worth going out on our second hunt 5-6/19 or if they're done breeding already. Any thoughts?

only if your done calling to them. :D

Do the goulds turkey breed later or is it about the same time. Headed out today with my dad for his goulds hunt that starts Tmro

They should still be good. Back in 2011, I was on a wildfire assignment in the Chiricahuas in late May/early June and I would kill down time by calling in Gould's toms without any calls; just doing my best hens yelps by mouth. My crew boss heard about this and had me show him. I called in a group of 5 toms to 40 yards as we were getting ready for the morning (roosting near our spike camp), two of which were strutting like crazy. You shouldn't have any problems getting them to talk!

• Like 1

Last year my daughter killed her Gould's on May 2nd and the birds were going nuts. A lot of the Tom's were henned up but they were all very vocal. From past experience down south pretty much the entire month of May is good.

• Like 2

In Lovett William's book "Hunting the Gould's Wild Turkey in Mexico" he talks about hunting the Gould's in the Sierra Madre's as early as first part of April into mid-May, but the peak is late April to early May. He also goes on to say in Arizona and New Mexico they will gobble into mid-June. I have helped and hunted several Gould"s here in Arizona and have to say the peak here is right around the same as down in Mexico. Personally the later I hunt the better the hens are usually laying on their eggs and the bigger, older more mature Tom's are much easier to call in.

• Like 3

Was in 23N last few days. Few pockets of gobbles but aren't very receptive. It was windy as heck and with weather coming back in doesn't look good.

I haven't been out ,but birds will gobble all year long in the AM. and PM. Rombo's post above pretty much covers it........BOB!

This time of year they are only done gobbling in between gobbles. Late season is sometimes tough to find a Tom that wants to play but once you do he usually goes for a walk over your shoulder shortly after. I was thinking about the OTC archery hunt next wknd but it looks like it gonna rain, snow and blow.... Hope it changes....

No, I don't believe that they're done gobbling. The second weekend is always a good weekend. After having the first hunt this year I'm starting to wonder if I would rather have the second hunt instead. On the first hunt I definitely noticed the increase of hunters compared to the second hunt. I've also noticed that by the third weekend it gets tougher to find one gobbling. Although multiple times I've also had them gobbling good on the very last day of the hunt in mid May.

I was in northern Mexico over the weekend and they were gobbleing on the roost in the morning and for about a good hour after sunrise and in the evening.