Sign in to follow this  
azdonw

Unit 5 Hopi (left over tag)

OP said he had a different tag. Then came back and said he did not have a hopi tag at all. So he was asking questions about a tag he didn't even have. You will be misinformed when you ask questions about tags you don't have. I have a 22 south tag, is under the rim a good spot?

Yes. What he said.

Read the unit description on your tag.

There is no unit description. Simply "Hopi hunt see hunt regulations." I saw a 5, and thought that was unit 5, but it was my permit number. Can't believe they didn't even put the unit number on the tag.

Thanks, Devil Diver. How did you find out where we have to camp? And if you wanted to hunt the East area, do you still have to camp in the West?

The notes in the regs for that hunt tell you how to get permission from the Hopis and the boundaries. They'll give you the gate lock combination and sell you a map (or at least that's how it was in 2010) and the camping info. Flatlander is right that you can camp off the ranch - we wanted to be as close as possible. The East and West areas are right across the highway from each other and both can be easily reached from the designated camp area. Have a good hunt!

OP said he had a different tag. Then came back and said he did not have a hopi tag at all. So he was asking questions about a tag he didn't even have. You will be misinformed when you ask questions about tags you don't have. I have a 22 south tag, is under the rim a good spot?

Exactly. We were just trying to help. Guess I assumed an archery Hopi hunt. My error. But to be fair, the original post never mentioned east west sunset. Only that it was a 5A Hopi hunt.

Amazing how people like to pile on those trying to help.

Either way....good luck to the OP. Should be a fun hunt.

Thanks, Devil Diver. I will do that. You don't happen to remember if you can bring ATVs (or would they even be helpful)? Hey, I visited your website-nice!

But to be fair, the original post never mentioned east west sunset. Only that it was a 5A Hopi hunt.

Yeah, I didn't know it was E/W Sunset, because the leftover tag notice didn't say that--it simply said 5A Hopi. I guess I should have noted it was a rifle hunt.

But to be fair, the original post never mentioned east west sunset. Only that it was a 5A Hopi hunt.

Yeah, I didn't know it was E/W Sunset, because the leftover tag notice didn't say that--it simply said 5A Hopi. I guess I should have noted it was a rifle hunt.

No biggie! At least you're going hunting. Good luck on the hunt. Wish I had that tag! :)

No biggie! At least you're going hunting. Good luck on the hunt. Wish I had that tag! :)

Thanks, I look at this way: I'll get to explore a new area of the the great state of AZ--and I'll be hunting elk (maybe not killing), but hunting, none the less!

• Like 1

This is really weird. I looked at the statistics for that area, and here is one line:

Unit Hunt Type Date Permits Authorized 1st and 2nd Choice % Draw Odds 2014 Hunt Success
5A (ST) Antlerless 10/16-10/22 15 18 100 55
They say ST= East Sunset/West Sunset/Meteor Crater/Twin Arrows/Two Guns/Grapevine.
Now there is an identical line below which has the same dates, but (ST) Hopi...and no Hunt Success given. I wonder if one is for the non Hopi hunters and the other is for the Hopi hunters. And what areais the "Twin Arrows/Two Guns/Grapevine"? I thought Twin Arrows was in 5B.

Two buddies and I had this hunt (bull) this past year. Hunting East Sunset mountain, I saw 11 bulls and 8 cows. We all tagged out. Access to the Hopi ranch is pretty easy. There is an email address where you can do most of it via email (you will have to sign and return the form) or go see the rancher (Wilson?) on the west side of 87, a couple of miles south of Holbrook...he gave us ours face-to-face. Very easy.

Get up on top of the mountain and glass down. I tagged out 1 hour into the season. As I was gutting, I had a giant 6x6 run up on me. My one buddy tagged out at noon the next day (his was running with another 6x6). Day three had us glass up 6 bulls, but couldn't get a decent shot (600+ yards away, and buddy had not practiced that far). The next day, he harvested a nice 5x5. They are there, just gotta get up high...the guys at the bottom of the mountain were not seeing anything.

Thanks, Hucker. That's great info. I'll have my work cut out for me, as I'll be hunting with my muzzle loader. Gonna have to spot...and really stalk!

Two buddies and I had this hunt (bull) this past year. Hunting East Sunset mountain, I saw 11 bulls and 8 cows. We all tagged out. Access to the Hopi ranch is pretty easy. There is an email address where you can do most of it via email (you will have to sign and return the form) or go see the rancher (Wilson?) on the west side of 87, a couple of miles south of Holbrook...he gave us ours face-to-face. Very easy.

Get up on top of the mountain and glass down. I tagged out 1 hour into the season. As I was gutting, I had a giant 6x6 run up on me. My one buddy tagged out at noon the next day (his was running with another 6x6). Day three had us glass up 6 bulls, but couldn't get a decent shot (600+ yards away, and buddy had not practiced that far). The next day, he harvested a nice 5x5. They are there, just gotta get up high...the guys at the bottom of the mountain were not seeing anything.

Well you can pretty much count this strategy out going forward. Once posted on a forum like this it's a searchable, archived document for all the world to see for eternity.

For info this specific you might consider a PM in the future.

• Like 6

Sounds like an awesome hunt, post up some pix!

• Like 1