CouesPursuit

Justifying and Supporting Hunting

There are two types of people that hunt. One type, hunting is what they do, the other type, hunting is who they are. For the first type, there are many good 'justifications'; scientific, emotional and cultural. Many of those have already been listed.

For the second type, hunting is who they are. Justifications do not apply. You might as well justify why they are tall or short or brown haired or light skinned or...

• Like 1

I don't hang out with people who need me to justify my actions to them.

And you also don't help the perception of the hunting community with your ignorance.

What ignorance would that be?

I screwed up and meant arrogance about your $0.02, my apologies there oz. You and the people you hang out with sound like you're up there pretty high, like an anti's polar opposite, like the people who can't be talked to, and this post was clearly aimed to make progress on the middle ground.

I can see 'justification' being a poor word choice when looked at in detail but the principle is there. If I was talking about my friends or a stranger on the street, I wouldn't need to 'justify' anything. But in my corporate environment, with a speaking opportunity on a topic that should be controversial and supported with facts and figures, I'm doing it from a justification standpoint. Clearly I have to be more careful with my word choice!

Great insight from many of you, thanks!

Might take some research but one angle might be the "if hunting stopped tomorrow " angle. The artificial population increase and subsequent collapse, disease and starvation.

• Like 1

Look on youtube at Steven Rinella's vegan vs meat eater. Basically a guy calls him out at his book signing, and steve knocks it out of the park. I always enjoy the way Steve speaks, and feel he says a lot of what I'm thinking, I'm just not smart enough to word it like he does. Basically what he says is to not hunt, is more unnatural than hunting. He backs it up with archaeological facts, etc. I like when he talks about how he, as a hunter, will know more about and appreciate deer more than a non hunter ever could. Check it out, it's only a few minutes.

• Like 4

Might take some research but one angle might be the "if hunting stopped tomorrow " angle. The artificial population increase and subsequent collapse, disease and starvation.

Building off of this , you may want to look and share on how the State Governments (many in the most Anti Hunting states) Use a lot of tax dollars to slaughter and leave lay many species of games from mountain lions and coyotes all the way up to deer and moose at times... They contract most of this out at a significant cost to taxpayers.

• Like 1

That is definitely an angle I wasn't approaching yet, thank you!

And Hatchet Jack, I don't know much about Steve but it sounds like a must watch, thanks!

I do not like the "if hunting stopped tomorrow" angle: it is too us(people) and them(animals) which is the mindset we need to get them away from. I would prefer to make an argument that includes us in the environment, food chain, and ecosystem just as we are, and have always been.

Shipping goods around the world (cattle from Texas, wood from South America, rice from S.E. Asia, ect) is what has led us away from living "local" (use buzz words that they can relate to) and to a mass exudes from farm country into cities resulting in the "unsustainable" human population explosion we see today. It is hard for someone who lives in the city and has all the goods from around the world at their fingertips to understand this, but if fossil fuels dried up tomorrow, the only people that will be left are the ones who participate with nature and hunt, fish, gather, and garden for their own food just as we have been doing forever; I do these things because I love them, it is in my blood and it is when I am happiest.

You can show them that they are the problem, and you are part of the solution.

An excellent book: "Collapse" by Jarred Diamond is what led me to start thinking this way.

• Like 2

I don't hang out with people who need me to justify my actions to them.

And you also don't help the perception of the hunting community with your ignorance.

What ignorance would that be?

I screwed up and meant arrogance about your $0.02, my apologies there oz. You and the people you hang out with sound like you're up there pretty high, like an anti's polar opposite, like the people who can't be talked to, and this post was clearly aimed to make progress on the middle ground.

Umm ok I guess. I don't think you'll find much middle ground if you just call people names .

Umm ok I guess. I don't think you'll find much middle ground if you just call people names .

Agreed. This time, with no sarcasm, my apologies.

• Like 1

Look on youtube at Steven Rinella's vegan vs meat eater. Basically a guy calls him out at his book signing, and steve knocks it out of the park. I always enjoy the way Steve speaks, and feel he says a lot of what I'm thinking, I'm just not smart enough to word it like he does. Basically what he says is to not hunt, is more unnatural than hunting. He backs it up with archaeological facts, etc. I like when he talks about how he, as a hunter, will know more about and appreciate deer more than a non hunter ever could. Check it out, it's only a few minutes.

• Like 1

Non typical ... Great Share , I have never heard of him until now and that clip is spot on to how I was thinking. Looks like I need to go pick up his book ! Thanks

YouTube the Joe Rogan experience with Cameron hanes. They touch on some important stuff that you could use. A disconnect with the food you eat is a big one.

• Like 2

I do not like the "if hunting stopped tomorrow" angle: it is too us(people) and them(animals) which is the mindset we need to get them away from. I would prefer to make an argument that includes us in the environment, food chain, and ecosystem just as we are, and have always been.

Shipping goods around the world (cattle from Texas, wood from South America, rice from S.E. Asia, ect) is what has led us away from living "local" (use buzz words that they can relate to) and to a mass exudes from farm country into cities resulting in the "unsustainable" human population explosion we see today. It is hard for someone who lives in the city and has all the goods from around the world at their fingertips to understand this, but if fossil fuels dried up tomorrow, the only people that will be left are the ones who participate with nature and hunt, fish, gather, and garden for their own food just as we have been doing forever; I do these things because I love them, it is in my blood and it is when I am happiest.

You can show them that they are the problem, and you are part of the solution.

An excellent book: "Collapse" by Jarred Diamond is what led me to start thinking this way.

I agree. I should clarify that the "what if" scenario is definitely a way to show our place in what is now natural order. My view was never us vs. them.