I love those low desert bucks. I also suck at killing them. They always see me and run.

• Like 1

My buddies dad drew the last 2 years in a row both hunts did not hire a guide. Smacked a 201 buck first time and a 230 something last year. They did not know the area very well the first hunt and obviously had a better idea the second time around.

• Like 2

I hunted 13b last year and was fortunate to take an archery buck well over 200". I shot my buck off water and I had a camera on the waterhole leading up to the hunt and he was never on camera. We did see him hanging in the area while glassing. Here are the facts on the strip archery last year. There was 6 bucks taken in B over 200" during the archery hunt and (1) buck in 13a archery over 200". That's a combined (50) total tags between the two units. My point is it is not EASY to kill a giant up there. Weather, monsoons will play a big part on sitting water etc.

• Like 1

10% of bucks killed were over 200"? That's pretty good odds, especially archery

• Like 3

For the record, a deer doesn't have to score 200" to be a giant in my eyes. I just threw that number in the original post for a rough idea of what a giant is. I agree with Greyghost, those are pretty good odds. I will be archery hunting the strip when and if I ever get a tag.

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking about. When I shot mine I thought he was a 3 point. Good luck trophy hunter. I'm gonna burn my 8 bonus points for late 23 whites gonna hunt with my buddies the ground ponders. But I would love the late baby tag.

Good luck in the draw. Another fact to toss around. All the archery bucks killed over 200" last year had some type of guiding involved. I paid for a scouting package but never had any guides in my camp. Not (1) DIY guy killed a 200"+

I would get a guide if I miraculously got pulled. Is it possible to kill a nice one driving around off the road with a bow?

Anything I suppose is possible. I never encountered a big buck standing off the road personally. I believe 13b is 50-60 miles wide by 90-110 miles long. A DIY guy will spend almost as much as it would cost to hire an outfitter. In one weekend alone we ate up a set of tires.

It all sounds good now but the reality is once you actually draw you have to decide how your going to do the hunt. I had guys prior to my hunt last year telling me they would help and when it came down to it most of them went quiet.

• Like 2