rancilio

Chiricahuas visit tips?

Anyone headed to the Chiricahuas this weekend? We may be headed over to look around. It's been about 10 years since I explored much there. Any post-fire intel on place to avoid?

I was down that way last weekend and it was very dry.

Anyone headed to the Chiricahuas this weekend? We may be headed over to look around. It's been about 10 years since I explored much there. Any post-fire intel on place to avoid?

It's been a few years since me and the posse rode thru the keyhole.

post-11051-0-35981900-1464471679_thumb.jpgpost-11051-0-23137700-1464471704_thumb.jpgpost-11051-0-99451400-1464471754_thumb.jpgpost-11051-0-99700700-1464471788.jpgpost-11051-0-95155900-1464471917_thumb.jpg

Bruce at top pic is mostly Chiricuahua Apache. Just saw him on Legends of Billy the Kid a few nights ago.The director even gave him some lines.

But if you head down towards Turkey Creek, take a swig of bourbon for ol Johnny Ringo.

Have a great trip, take lots of pics of those beautiful mtns.

• Like 7

Is that up near the monument?

Yes, one of the loop trails.

Muledeerarea33? Recognize anyone?

• Like 2

Hard to tell on my little phone but I believe I'm staring at his horses on the hillside right now. Third pic down? I was going to suggest turkey creek as well, it's pry busy this weekend but we've been there next to the waterfall with no one else. Nice place to relax.

• Like 1

Hard to tell on my little phone but I believe I'm staring at his horses on the hillside right now. Third pic down? I was going to suggest turkey creek as well, it's pry busy this weekend but we've been there next to the waterfall with no one else. Nice place to relax.

Yup

My 10 suggestions for a happy visit to the Chiricahuas:

1) Stay away from abandoned anything (backpacks, camps, dead bodies)

2) Don't remote camp. Stay in an improved CG or better yet a cabin. The Cave Creek Ranch is my favorite

3) Find a bigger gun. Impressive firearms, but obviously pistol caliber. Get something bigger. I hear AK-47's are the rage down there. I personally think a 1911 puts out the proper message for a side arm. Any semi-auto .308 is a good choice for a long gun. A .44 Mag might be appropriate for the appropriate reasons, like the many many bears. As a plus they are just cool.

4) Don't pick up hitchhikers

5 ) Don't be a hitchhiker

6) Stop when the BP wants to talk and check out your accent and attitude. It will happen, maybe more than once.

7) Don't have a bad attitude with the BP or anyone

8) Don't have a South of the Border accent. Fake a NYC one if you must

9) Don't go out at night. See number 2

10) Maintain situational awareness. There are a lot of eyes out down there and most are not friendly, human and otherwise

Bonus 11) If your on a bicycle, watch out for the cattle guards.

There may be more, but this came to mind. It is a beautiful place that is nominally part of AZ and therefore the USA, but don't pretend your in 17A.

• Like 1

2) Don't remote camp. Stay in an improved CG or better yet a cabin. The Cave Creek Ranch is my favorite

3) Find a bigger gun. Impressive firearms, but obviously pistol caliber. Get something bigger. I hear AK-47's are the rage down there. I personally think a 1911 puts out the proper message for a side arm. Any semi-auto .308 is a good choice for a long gun. A .44 Mag might be appropriate for the appropriate reasons, like the many many bears. As a plus they are just cool.

6) Stop when the BP wants to talk and check out your accent and attitude. It will happen, maybe more than once.

10) Maintain situational awareness. There are a lot of eyes out down there and most are not friendly, human and otherwise

There may be more, but this came to mind. It is a beautiful place that is nominally part of AZ and therefore the USA, but don't pretend your in 17A.

I've always heard of turkey creek but have never been there myself.

Is it really that bad?

I've always heard of turkey creek but have never been there myself.

Is it really that bad?

I am wondering the same thing. I have scouted five different units in the state looking for a place to early archery hunt in hopes of my first coues deer. All the info I compiled on sites like GoHunt etc. have lead me to look into 29. I am not after a toad but just an opportunity and an adventure. I've spent the last 6 weekends scouting central AZ with no luck and was hoping unit 29 might slightly increase my odds. I hunt alone and by the sounds of it, sounds like things could get a little "western." I live 17 miles from the southwestern border and am aware of proximity issues but I am still curious as to if 29 is really that dangerous?

i agree a 1911 puts out a good message but lacking on round count try a 2011 and double your fun.

• Like 1

Is this ok? A back-up or two may be along

I like the rifle but would lose the silencer on the pistol due to slows target acquisition carry optic is nice!