Sign in to follow this  
8OWHUNT247

Thoughts on the area's with fresh burn...

Hey All,

So I went up to set some cams in a couple "old faithful" spots last weekend. When I got there, the area was on fire (one of the controlled fires caused by lightning).. The FS said they will hopefully be done by the end of the week.

My question is... What are your thoughts on that area for September? Do you think it will have fresh growth (making it actually better than normal years) or will it just be an ashy mess that the elk will avoid for a while?

We have taken some good elk out of 6a but it seems most of my intimate knowledge has gone up in smoke...

Thoughts?

Depends completely on moisture. If the burn areas start getting a lot of rain right away, they will green up in a hurry. If it stays dry, they will be desolate. It seems to me, in areas where scorching burns push through, it takes a year or so for the vegetation and wildlife to return

• Like 3

From what I read it was a low burning fire(not a scorcher) that was mainly just burning the crap on the ground. The burn last year around Rocky park area and Rattlesnake quiet area seems to a very similar burn and it greened up really nice from what I saw. Did seem to push the animals out of that area for a bit. Rain makes everything better.

• Like 3

From experience I can say the elk will be there. I had fire buzz several cams last year and the elk didn't care at all about the fire. FS guys said there were elk tracks in the dirt where it waS still smoldering in the morning. We had a bunch of elk where we hunted and there was a lot of burn around. This was the same type of low ground cover burn. A big scorcher is different.

• Like 2

we had similar fires last year where I hunted while I didn't shoot a monster we gave it he!!

elk didn't go anywhere.

I would think as long as it's not a raging fire like 6Anut said should be good.

after it's out should be all kinds of new growth popping up when it rains

James

• Like 6

I have seen deer in a burn area a week after the fire but it wasn't a raging fire that burned everything. I think you will be fine.

• Like 2

It depends on the kind of fire. The year after the big fire up by Crown King we scouted the area near Desoto mine which is about where the fire stopped. The area should have had some life, but the only signs at the waterholes were 1 deer, and a few cows. The area had greened up well, but the wildlife had not made there way back yet. That was a scorcher fire though, not a just a burn through.

Its not a scorcher by any means.. I was all bummed out last weekend until I started to think maybe it could be a great thing... You guys just solidified my thoughts. Thanks!

After the Warm fire at the north rim I believe in 06, I spent a lot of time there 2 months after the fire. Saw a ton of deer back on the burn areas. It seemed like it bother them at all.

Been mule deer hunting in 27 opening day of the hunt the fs decided to do a controled burn right in the area i wanted to hunt. Decided to hintwith my uncle anyways and while sitting next to a smoldering log and smoke everywhere we watched a herd of mule deer walk up to the tank and like no worries at all and drink. My uncle shot the 140 inch mule deer hunt over

Hate to admit in my younger day I walked thru a fire after a week of burning and there were still pockets of flames 3' high. I viewed deer, elk and numerous bears on that crazy hike. Seems to me if the fire is a natural fire, considering intensity, no worries and it should only enhance the area that same year with normal moisture. If the fire is more of the "catastrophic hot burning" type that neutralizes the soil......... then it may take a year or two or even longer for the area to normalize.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the fire closest to Mormon Mountain is still going? The FS said they were going to take it all the north to the 132.. Anyone have any updates?