Camofreak

Bullets tight when chambered **Update**

Alright, so this is hard to say, and my lingo might not be on point but here it goes.

So ive been having some problems with my 6.5 creedmoor, its a savage.

I cant seem to figure out what the problem is, but its hard to push in the cartridge, and then you have to fight it a little bit to pull the bullet back out, once i do if i look at the bullet a good portion of the bullet is scraped up. Now i have checked my ogive for the gun an the bullets, and the bullets are seated less than the ogive that the gun shows i can do. Per the hornady reloading info, my cartridges are less than the max they specified.

i cant figure out for the life of me why my bullets are tight when chambered and why theyre scraping. Their isnt anything stuck in the chamber either like a neck to get them caught on.

The best loads i can load up are like .800 at 100yrds. between 3 differernt bullets and different seating depths, been going on for awhile.

Its scraped all the way around.

I would have to seat the bullets pretty deep to get them out of the lands. Maybe that's what I have to do, but I haven't seen a creedmoor bumped that far back.

I have the same problem with my savage 270. Even with factory loads.

The reloading manual shows COAL as base to TIP, not ogive. If you are seating bullets to ogive you need to measure it with a tool such as the Hornady LNL headspace gauge.

Yeah I went back to measure them all in OAL.

Theyre under the 2.8 your recommended to start at by quite a bit to not scrape.

I'm surprised even my factory loads do the same thing.

I'd send the rifle back to savage to have them look at it. Sounds like they didn't Reem the chamber enough.

Yeah I went back to measure them all in OAL.

Theyre under the 2.8 your recommended to start at by quite a bit to not scrape.

I'm surprised even my factory loads do the same thing.

What bullet are you using? Have heard reports that some eldx bullets have come from the factory sized too big. One guy said his whole box was .2845 and he couldn't get the bullet to go in his gun. Thought it was the chamber being reamered wrong but it was the bullet.

Bullets are definitely loded too long. The scrapes are from your bullet being jammed into the lands, or rifling.

I'd send the rifle back to savage to have them look at it. Sounds like they didn't Reem the chamber enough.

This has been a common problem with the 6.5 Creedmoor specifically. I have seen a hand full of them with the same exact problem. Contact Savage and they will send you a shipping label to send the rifle back and they will replace the barrel for you free of charge. The last one I dealt with took about 3 weeks turn around.

I believe there is a thread over on Savage shooters forum where they have have a list of firearms in a certain serial number range that have this problem. You might look for that list and cross reference it to your rifle.

• Like 1

Yep, bet the chamber is out of spec.