Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Hand-held Two-way Radios?

Can someone recommend a pair of Hand-held two-way radios? Not looking for something to use out at sea but on forest and desert hunts with a buddy or 10. Plan to use this to keep in contact with the group on my Kaibab bison hunt. Ideally it would be good if they would work out to about 15 miles but I realize with any contour the distance gets much smaller really fast. Even working a couple of miles in the ridged country up there would be nice. Please let me know if you have a pair to recommend. I am not going to buy a GPS combo radio so please do not recommend a Garmin Rino or equivalent. Thanks!

Love my Motorola's I get 10+ miles but cost 179.00 each

I went with Midland radios because they have 15-mile range. I love them, but have never had that kind of reception, either. But then, I've never been that far from who I hunt with. I also went with Midlands over Motorolas because, back when I got them, everyone and their brother had Motorolas and I had to be different. Having said that, I love mine.

Most of the guys I am out hunting with have Rinos .... A bit pricey but lots of benefits when you all have them... The biggest IMO is Polling and knowing exactly where everyone is at ... can send texts and way points easy ... can see what kind of terrain you are going to be facing humping across the land to meet up. Range is very effective and only places we have seen issues any FRS is would have issues in.

Aren't they like $700.00 each

If you watch the sales you will find the 650's under $400 .... Several of us upgraded last year when they were around $350

Guest akaspecials

FRS is your best bet for compatibility with other folks. We use two meter HAM a lot to talk farther. Typically will have a base unit set up at camp or in the truck to act as a repeater if people are hunting farther out or the mountains get in the way. This requires some knowledge and a license. About a million times better than FRS though. Most any radio will be line of site only unless you start jumping waves off the ionosphere.

Is it possible for the motorolas and the rhinos to work together or do they all have to be rhinos to communicate?

Also I thought I read something awhile back about other people outside of your group being able to track your location if you have a rhino and they have one also? Anyone know if there is truth to this?

+1 for HAM radio's. You can pick up a decent unit for under $100 and is much more powerful. Only down side is like stated above it is federally regulated and you are supposed to have a license to operate. To get licensed you just have to pass an exam.

Is it possible for the motorolas and the rhinos to work together or do they all have to be rhinos to communicate?

Also I thought I read something awhile back about other people outside of your group being able to track your location if you have a rhino and they have one also? Anyone know if there is truth to this?

As far as the FRS radios you can use other brands with the Rinos. You may have a limitations on which bands you can use or scrambling for privacy ... But yes they can work. I have never heard of others being able to poll your locations.... You add your members to the group and they show on a side bar that lets you toggle between them , and on your showing locations ... Until they have been added they can not poll you as far as I know. However, If an individual is on the same channel, code and scramble setting ( never ran across it yet ) they can broadcast a poll and you will be given the option to add them to your group.

I have some really good Motorola's that I use at work, and easily get 10 miles out of them. They are using frequencies not available to the public, so no other traffic on them. I think they run big $$$ when you have to buy them. Might even be regulated, but not sure on that.