Planning on using .257 wby. Anybody have any factory bullet recommendations that have worked well for them?

Ask Ernesto.

HSM has 257 weatherby loaded with 115gr Berger VLD. My handloads use the same bullets and it worked well on my cow elk last year so I think it should be fine on coues.

Even the $40 100 gr SP loaded by weatherby would probably be fine.

Harley

Remington Sendero II in 7mm RM. 168 gr Berger VLD w/ Nosler brass at 2,970 fps. Little Bastard muzzle brake, trigger job (2.5 lbs), with Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP. Just now getting this dialed in, but will probably still skim bed the action and have the smith blue print it. Right now it's already under .5 MOA, but I want better! :rolleyes: I was tempted to take my Rem 700 in .308 since I have that down to a consistent .15 MOA, but I need to put a better scope on it like I have on the 7MM. Oh well, I guess I better go spend some more money at Sportsmans Warehouse!

post-14180-0-98509200-1476811930_thumb.jpg

And hoping to see something like this again!!!

IMG_6919.jpg

• Like 1

post-11071-0-46599800-1477843050_thumb.jpgpost-11071-0-47244900-1477843082_thumb.jpgpost-11071-0-03474000-1477843219_thumb.jpgIt took a long time but I finally reworked my Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm Rem Mag to be a viable coues rifle.

First I had to have Ruger replace a safety that allowed some trigger movement in the center position. After that Ruger needed to replace the original bolt assembly which had excessive play in it, and had an incorrectly timed ejector blade slot which often held down the ejector leading to non-ejection of cases.

The second task was a trigger smoothing and lightening, Then a complete stock stripping because the factory finish (top photo) was masking the wood's nice grain and pattern covering it in a dull tan color, and refinishing with real tung oil and varnish for waterproofing. The stock hard red butt pad was removed and a Limbsaver recoil pad fitted, and weight added into the stock for a preferred balance (second and third photos).

I also did a basic front and rear glass bedding job, and free floated the barrel because the rifle needed to have it's accuracy improved.

The Factory stock Hawkeye 7mm Rem Mag with a very light Berger 140 VLD load at 2,978 fps was shooting poor 3 shot groups of 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" at 100 yards. This would have limited this particular rifle for hunting to just over 200 yards or so. Recoil energy for this light load is only 15.8 ft lbs (.270 Win power level) and would be great for javelina.

With basic front and rear glass bedding, and full barrel floating (except the first 1-1/2" parallel barrel which was part of the glass bedding), the same 140 Berger VLD load is now shooting 3 shot groups between 11/16" to 3/4" consistently at 100 yards, a considerably improved level of accuracy. At this point I can begin to search for ammo accuracy nodes with different bullets.

An aside, the new Hornady 7mm 162 grain ELD-Match bullet, at actual corrected MV of 3,029 FPS @ 75 deg F, 24" barrel, not shot in the factory stock unmodified rifle, shoots 3 shot groups of 7/16" (accuracy modes not pursued yet) in this glass bedded and free floated rifle. I have not tested and observed data of this bullet's performance in the factory stock, unmodified, rifle so no comparison can be made with this bullet.

Well my plans have changed. I was going to take my 243 for my coues deer hunt this coming weekend, but now I'm taking my 7mm Rem Mag. My dad called me last night and told me he won a guided mule deer hunt on the Piute Indian Reservation. He bought a single 100 dollar raffle ticket for it, and they called him last night to tell him the hunt starts Friday. Lol. He's not up to shooting big calibers anymore so he asked if he could take my 243, so I said yes of course. So it works out in the long run. I'll get to do a little more practice with my 7mm for my upcoming late rifle bull tag. :)

20160705_085018_zpsukfhu7xh.jpg

• Like 1

Browning A bolt in 270 wsm shooting 140 interlock or ruger m77 300wm shooting 168 sierra mk both are sweet rigs