Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

30A October-Anybody else?

Looks like I got the leftover of the leftovers. Better than sittin home shuckin my nubbin I guess, and it's kinda close to home. Anybody else headed down for this hunt?

I'll be goin solo, wouldn't mind camping with somebody just to ease my fears of getting shanked in my sleep. Pending wife approval I'm heading down in the next couple weekends to check out the access situation, or lack thereof. I need something to get me pumped for this hunt. From what I've searched it sounds like doom and gloom, but I'm gonna give it a go anyhow.

It's actually had decent success rates the last few years. There's not a ton of deer, but the core ranges are much smaller.

30A seems to turn into a circus with everyone hunting the same spots, good luck.

Same here. I drew this as a leftover tag. Never hunted here before so I am trying to get as much info as possible.

My instinct tells me the small area in the Peloncillo Mountains by the NM/AZ state border might have less hunter traffic, but who knows.

My friend and I missed the initial draw and were unsuccessful in leftovers. Kicking around the idea of this hunt. I got a tag a couple years ago and didn't go. His idea was to take his crappy old explorer as far in as we can get (legally) and then hike it in. Last time I had thought about checking out the south end of the Dos Cabezas.

Rough roads are not really the problem. Its the locked gates, and due to all the border activities over the years most ranchers lock up tight.

from what i've studied so far, the lack of access doesn't seem that big of a deal if you are willing to walk 6 or 8 miles. there are a handful of access points that give you a number of options to backpack in.

Hatchet- I've got a 30a late Nov tag and am new to the Unit as well. Let me know if you want an extra set of eyes, I'd join you on your hunt to help glass and scout for my trip

Im headed down to 30A this morning. I had asked a question about the unit as I am a novice hunter. Cannot find my question to see if I got any replies. I am frustrated trying to navigate this site. I too am hunting solo.

Game and fish website and PRE hunt scouting when will people catch on that u have to put in the work for it to pay off

• Like 2

Im headed down for the first hunt as well with a left over tag. Got help through Sunday but would be looking for someone to camp with after that if I'm still out there. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Friday morning at 8:20am. After only hiking about 2 miles we found this 8 pointer, a fork. and two does together. Two shots at an easy 350 yards with my 7MM SAUM.

Not big, but a buck that I was not going to pass on in this unit.

Didn't see squat for the next three days that we were trying to fill my buddy's tag.

post-13895-0-76344900-1477610165_thumb.jpg

post-13895-0-89704000-1477610209_thumb.jpg

post-13895-0-66648500-1477610271_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I thinks its a great buck for a leftover tag... congrats to you...