WampusCat

Outdoor Quotes

Every now and again I stumble across a quote that really resonates down to the bone with me. There are a few that once I read them, I will return several times to take in the meaning of the words and pause to reflect on my own life. There is an instant connection with the author and feel like though we have never met, we would have been great friends.

Theodore Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold have many great ones but I ran across this one last week that cuts pretty deep.

"Despite our ever-changing, ever indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the way of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by the restless wind blowing across sunlit water and star streamed skies and on those occasions when I choose to kill, to claim some small part of natures bounty for my own, I do so by choice, quickly, with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter. Further in my heart and mind I know the truth and make no apologies for my actions or my place and time. Others around me may opt to eat only plants, nuts and fruits still others may employ faceless strangers to procure there meats, their leather, their feathers and all of the niceties and necessities of life such is their right, of course, and I wish them well. All I ask in return is no one begrudge me and all of us that answer the primordial stirring within our hunters souls, my right to do some of these things myself."

- M. R. James

Do any of you have any great ones that you keep around.

• Like 4

Guest oneshot

"Another glorious day to excel" by DI Rupp...

"Deny everything, Admit nothing, make counteraccusations" by Abe lincon...

"Never Submit, Never Surrender" by a Proud American Infidel...

post-1378-0-89066200-1470308332.jpg

I dont shoot well, but I shoot often. - Teddy Roosevelt

That simple quote has Inspired me to take some shots that the magazine fantasy hunters may scoff at, but I filled my tags, and often the willingness to put an arrow in the air is the difference between meat on your back or on the hooves. Theres more than one kill shot, and while I prefer a nice broadside double lunger, its not the only one I'll take.

• Like 3

A quote that has stuck with me since childhood as one of dads hunting buddies left deer camp to fill his tag; "I go forth to lie and wait. If that fails, I simply wait and lie."

• Like 2

Also a big fan of Teddy and Aldo's quotes, here are a couple short ones I like.

"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow."

- Fred Bear

"The hunting partnership between man and dog developed thousands of years ago and from it came a deep bond of affection. I suspect it was the dog's idea."

- Aaron Fraser

• Like 5

Also a big fan of Teddy and Aldo's quotes, here are a couple short ones I like.

"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow."

- Fred Bear

"The hunting partnership between man and dog developed thousands of years ago and from it came a deep bond of affection. I suspect it was the dog's idea."

- Aaron Fraser

Aldo has some great ones. I have read his "Sand County Almanac" a hundred times.

I feel like this one speaks directly to Coues hunting.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size,

but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit"

-Aldo Leopold

• Like 2

Very nice quote there - I was pretty emotional after shooting my first coues with a bow, definitely based on "the magnitude of the effort extended in its pursuit." He wasn't huge (avatar), but it will be very tough to top him as far a trophy is concerned.

I first read A Sand County Almanac as a requirement in school, and 3 times since on long flights across the pond. Just read it again last month.

When my wife gets on me a bit for wanting to spend so much of the fall/winter chasing bucks and ducks, I quote.. “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot,” and remind her that she knew what she was getting into. She then rolls her eyes and I try to do something nice for her to ease the tension.
  • Like 4

One of my favorites is Robert Ruark. Especially "The Old Man and the Boy"

'The best thing about hunting and fishing,' the Old Man said, 'is that you don't have to actually do it to enjoy it. You can go to bed every night thinking about how much fun you had twenty years ago, and it all comes back clear as moonlight.'

• Like 5

One of my all time favorites is from John Gierach's "Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing" where he is talking about being labeled an expert.

"Be damned careful what you say for fear of being believed. If you say you can catch more trout if you fish with your whanger hanging out, somebody will try it."

Every time someone refers to me as being an expert on some topic in my profession, I go right to that quote (in my head, of course) and choose my words carefully and wisely!

Edited for correct quote.

• Like 4

One of my all time favorites is from John Gierach's "Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing" where he is talking about being labeled an expert.

"Be damned careful what you tell people. If you tell someone you can catch a 20-inch trout with your wanger hanging out, somebody will try it."

Every time someone refers to me as being an expert on some topic in my profession, I go right to that quote (in my head, of course) and choose my words carefully and wisely!

"Be damned careful what you tell people. If you tell someone you can catch a 20-inch trout with your wanger hanging out, somebody will try it."

I'm going to have to read that.

One of my favorites is Robert Ruark. Especially "The Old Man and the Boy"

If you like Ruark you should read some Gordon MacQuarrie. Especially if your a waterfowler!

• Like 1

Jack Kerouac — 'Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.'

And one of my personal favorites copied from WampusCats signature line....

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.He is supercivilized, and I for one do not how to deal with him" -Aldo Leopold

• Like 3