Viper

Looking to do a stock upgrade on my .270....is this a good one?

I want to replace the factory stock on my Remington 700 XCR .270. I want an upgrade with bedding and floated barrel at an economical price. This one from Stocky's Stocks seems to fit the bill.

Any input, advice...?

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/bell-carlson/sporter-hunting-stocks/bell-carlson-alaskan-wilderness-mountain-rifle-remington-model-700-model-seven-7-stock-right-left-hand-available-new-models.html

post-2983-0-51044000-1470754372_thumb.jpg

It is an upgrade over the Hogue stock, if that is the one you currently have on there. For double the cost, you can get one of the inlet ready McMillan's.

• Like 1

It is an upgrade over the Hogue stock, if that is the one you currently have on there. For double the cost, you can get one of the inlet ready McMillan's.

Thanks. I am just looking to make this rifle a little more accurate without much added expense, so I can stretch my effective range a bit...to 400 to 500 yards. I figure a decent stock and premium ammo should accomplish what I want. In the future, if I want a long range, custom, more expensive shooter, it will probably be a different caliber. For now, this one will do.

I just put a bell and Carlson on a 243 one weekend 1 1/2 groups changed stock to b&c 1/2" groups torquedo the lug screws

• Like 1

I just put a bell and Carlson on a 243 one weekend 1 1/2 groups changed stock to b&c 1/2" groups torquedo the lug screws

That's great results! Did you torque to spec, or make torque adjustments until the group tightened up?

I went ahead and ordered it....can't hurt.

I went ahead and ordered it....can't hurt.

I have one, for the money it's a decent stock

I have a B&C Medalist too. Decent stocks for the money. No McM or Manners, but at 1/2 to 1/4 the price, it is definitely a step up from Hogue or the Tupperware plastic stocks.

• Like 1

I set it to 45 inch pounds

Now I need to find/buy a decent inch pound torque wrench. It's amazing how many brands get mixed reviews. It seems the Wheeler Fat Wrench quality has improved the last couple years.

Any suggestions?

That's what I use now I am not a long range custom gun shooter but it helps me get down to 1/2" groups with my handloads

Is it necessary to bed the recoil lug with a aluminum bedding block? Should I use lock tight on the bolts?

I set it to 45 inch pounds

Now I need to find/buy a decent inch pound torque wrench. It's amazing how many brands get mixed reviews. It seems the Wheeler Fat Wrench quality has improved the last couple years.

Any suggestions?

I bought a Wheeler last year and it is easy to use.

Is it necessary to bed the recoil lug with a aluminum bedding block? Should I use lock tight on the bolts?

I don't think you should have to bed it and me personally I would never use lock tight on it but I don't even use it on scope mounts

• Like 1