Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

500+ Yard Range

I am sure this has been discussed or asked before, but does anyone know of a public range or place to shoot to 500+ yards? I have settled on a load for my 6.5 Creedmoor that will be more than sufficient for my hunts this year, so it is time to start taking it to range and figuring out my drops. I leave at the end of September for my Wyoming hunts, so hoping to get this dialed in soon.

Any ino you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I am in East Mesa near Apache Junction. I don't mind driving. I did my load development at Usery Mountain, but have to get a membership and enter competitions to gain access to their 500 yard range. I would like to go somewhere with some high elevations to match where I will be hunting if possible.

Well if you want to drive all the way to Yuma I'll be more than happy to take you to our local range here where you can shoot all the way up to 1000 yards if you want.

Just remember that here you'll be shooting at sea level and at a lot warmer temperatures than WY; you will still need to shoot your rifle when you get there and find out how much altitude, temperature etc will affect your bullet.

Ernesto C

• Like 1

I know a lot of people shoot off the Beeline Hwy. I did a trail cleanup out there a couple months ago and there was a ton of trash and debris left by campers and shooters. I think shooting restrictions are lifted right now, so I guess I can go off Beeline. Any other suggestions appreciated. Ernesto, thanks for the offer in Yuma and I may take you up on that if all else fails.

Gerrit

Hit up Google earth to find a spot at the elevations you'll be hunting. Look for power lines off of FS roads.

You can find a spot off the beeline pretty easy.

Those guard rails make a pretty good rest. 😆

What kind of load did you wind up with a friend of mine is thinking about loading some shells for his 6.5 thanks

Have you ever played pick a small rock In the area you will be hunting , with a spotter ? Good times and replicates real life positions.Not like shooting of a bench like some yuppie f@g....

obvisly assuming , your pre dialed in and know your dope that is

What kind of load did you wind up with a friend of mine is thinking about loading some shells for his 6.5 thanks

I will be shooting Berger 140 gr VLD-H, Norma once fired neck sized brass, CCI BR2 primers, 2.840 COAL, 41 grains of H4350. This load is shooting about 3/4" MOA 5 shot groups out of a factory savage model 10. I think I can dial it in more, but my Wyoming trip is going to be here before I know it, so I gotta start figuring out my drops and practicing at distance. 3/4" groups will be sufficient for my Wyoming trip.

• Like 1

Have you ever played pick a small rock In the area you will be hunting , with a spotter ? Good times and replicates real life positions.Not like shooting of a bench like some yuppie f@g....

obvisly assuming , your pre dialed in and know your dope that is

I haven't, but it sounds like a good way to practice real life situations. I need to learn my drops first.

Safford has a great range, if you want to drive a couple hours.

You can shoot out to 700ish.

Jeff

• Like 1