My favorite legal thing to do is to shoot a deer in the gut first, and then I like to shoot it in a leg at a time until it can't walk any longer without a whole lot of effort. Once it stops for good, I'll shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery, which is the ethical thing to do. I wouldn't want to be inhumane. ;) -TONY

I understand the basis of your argument but the comparisons are somewhat ridiculous. :P

I understand the basis of your argument but the comparisons are somewhat ridiculous. :P

That's because it was MEANT to be ridiculous, just as saying "if it's legal, it's ethical" is ridiculous. Breaking laws is a legal issue, NOT an ethical issue. How one behaves OUTSIDE of the laws is what determines ethics. -TONY

Is it ethical to shoot a deer 1000, 800, 500, .... yrds? I know guys who don't shoot over 200 yrds because they think it is unethical to shoot further. Is there going to be a yardage limit you can shoot in the future?

I have a trail cam set up right now, its not in a unit I hunt much but I would like to know whats out there. Being a college student, and working, I'm not able to get out as often as some other people can. Guys are out there at least once a week patterning the deer but I'm stuck at home and work. Sure a camera might replace some leg work but its not nearly as good as that leg work.

I think there will always be talk on what ethical and whats not but I don't agree with outlawing or resticting every little thing. Sure there must be some rules but there comes a point were enough is enough.

Rembrant, all those things you have listed in the BRACKETS do not draw game to a specific spot for the purpose of harvesting. Training wildlife to feed in this manner is not fair chase and not ethical. We can fool ourselfs into believing what we are doing is the right thing to do, even when it's not. Kind of like when Bill Clint was getting BJs in the oval office. I never heard one democrat or even one women's rights groups come out and say it was unethical and wrong. They all liked the sleeze bag so much they fooled themselfs in believing he did nothing wrong.

Have any of you hunted elk,deer, or antelope next to a man made water hole? As long as we are making comparisons I think that one is evenly matched to baiting don't you? It is hunting animals that are trained to come to a specific spot, right? Should AZGF extend the law to include not only camping within 1/4 mile of a water hole but to hunting within a 1/4 of it as well? What about acorns? Seems a little unfair to hunt deer where they get dinner?

WHEN they outlaw the use of attractants all together I will gladly obey the law but history has proved itself...................give an inch and a mile is sacrificed.

I can fully understand both sides of this debate but.................the original post was centered around the use of trail cams, attractants just kind of slipped in there somewhere.

I can honestly say that I will not be hunting over the spot that I have placed attractants in order to get photos of deer, will I be hunting the general area? Yep, sure will

azpackhorse, you voted for Clinton didn't you!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be more inclined to think that perhaps you did..............I didn't hear an answer to any of my questions, skirted right around them, that my friend has democrat written all over it :P

Self justification is an easy road to travel down............

It seems that everyone is scratching to come up with a definition of "ethical hunting." I went through that exercise years ago and here's what I finally decided upon:

Ethics in hunting are the standards acceptable to the majority of hunters in a particular region.

Thus, it can be ethical to hunt deer with dogs in certain area in certain southern U.S. states. It is considereed OK to shoot game near and even on the banks of waterholes anywhere in the USA, but do the same in southern Africa and the "ethical sportsmen" on that continent consider it akin to spotlighting and shooting from vehicles. (Yes, I know, bowhunting outfitters in Africa build bowhunting blinds over water and a lot of foreign rifle hunters shoot from vehicals.. That's because outfitters are in the business of selling game and sending home successful clients.) In Africa,hunters are debating whether hunting leopards with hounds is ethical. I know at least one person on this forum who feels it is unethical to bait bears, even where legal. In most of eastern Canada, it's about the only way bears are hunted. And so on.

As for trail cameras, one might argue that because the majority of hunters don't use them they must be unethical. That's poppycock. As someone said there is nothing wrong with taking an animal's photo. Baiting is another matter. It does attract animals. However, I personally find nothing wrong with that. If Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett consider using "attractants" to be unethical, they both need to drop all the deer from Texas and a whole lot of other states from their books because the majority of hunters their shoot their bucks from treestands overlooking fancy corn feeders.

Bill Quimby

Please try to ignore the misspellings and poor grammar in the above post. I hit send before I edited it. I really am not that illiterate. Honest.

Bill Quimby

I don't use trail cams, but do enjoy the pictures of the nice bucks. When I look over an area to see if I want to hunt it ,I use a strange far-fetched technique. Maybe some of you guys have heard of it. I look at the ground for indentations that are possibly made by deer. For some inexplicable reason the bigger these indentations are, the more excited I get. Yet, I won't know the score, the antler configuration, the spread, whether it is a coke addict or even if the animal is male or female. All I really know is that the deer has big feet. Still if those feet are big enough I may choose to hunt that area. I know. You don't have to tell me. I have a foot fetish. Maybe I need to get with the program and buy a trail cam.

Bob

P.S. Bill, if we had a grammar police, we would all be in jail.

Tony, What happened to that "policy". All I can say is touche'. LMAO.

ok, one more time, ethics is your opinion. if a group has a set code of ethics, then that is their opinion. you can not legislate ethics. if you try, you will lose, because then you've opened the door to every bleedin' heart to have a say in what you do. azpackhorse made some real good observations, that made me think some. how far do ya wanna go with "ethics"? a couple weeks ago a real famous guide had a high dollar hunter with the most premium elk tag on planet earth wait until that last few days of a one year long season to shoot a bull in the velvet in some folks' yard. there was a lot of discussion about ethics and stuff there and buncha guys felt it was ok, mostly, from what i could tell, because the guy had spent a lot of money that was supposed to go to conservation and his guide had a good reputation, at least before the incident. and a buncha other folks were screamin' bloody murder on the other side o' the fence. who's right? i aint' heard if there was a plea or a conviction, but in my opinion, if they get fined, then they were unethical and i hope they get hammered into the ground. if they don't, then they were ethical and can walk away. i think what they did was real stupid and was not representetive of what i feel hunting is, or is about, but ethics don't really come to play in it to me. but that's my "opinion". same with all this other stuff. if it's legal, it's ethical. like i've said, do you think anything we do is "ethical" to anti's? ethical is just a word that folks like to throw around when they need one to bash somebody with. sorta like nazi. every time somebody with a poor vocabulary and little imagination wants to hammer somebody the call em a nazi. even tho thay have no idea what it even means. ethics is your opinion, or my opinion. in my opinion we use the word way too much and in the wrong context. Lark.

I would be more inclined to think that perhaps you did..............I didn't hear an answer to any of my questions, skirted right around them, that my friend has democrat written all over it :P

Self justification is an easy road to travel down............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just curious about something. Everything I see on the hunting channels shows the hunter over corn fields , bean fields,

wheat fields, etc.........and they are primarily hunting these type of fields in just about every state but Az and a couple others I think.

So if your entire state is totally engulfed in corn is it unethical to hunt it?? :blink:

.270, I have watched that elk story unravel in the local newspaper up here. That incident has sure shed alot of bad light on hunting. I work with a guy who guides and from his explaination, the elk was taken withing 1/4 mile of housing, I wasn't there so it is still just somebody else's work.

That alone throws it into the illegal catagory thus falling into the unethical side of things.

I agree with you on the ethics issue, just passing on some info.

When are people going to learn that "Ethics" are different for each individual and asking questions like this does nothing but stir the pot and divide us. We already have rifle hunters vs. archery hunters. Pretty soon we're going to have the trail camera vs. the non trail camera.??? None of this helps our sport.

Thanks for this statement!!!

And geese, guys! If we keep up these ethical debates, before long the only legal and ethical method of taking an Arizona game animal will be a nude spot and stock and jump on the animals back like a darn lion! :blink: Otta make for one heck of a video though!!! :lol: :D :P