Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Prickly pear syrup

Guest oneshot

i put it on blueberry pancakes too it was legit af.

Run it through a still and it goes with everything... including poor choices...

Nice! We always harvest ppears and juice them. The juice is great just straight or you can simmer it down to make a thicker syrup which my husband then uses to make ppear bbq sauce, which is amazing! To make it you can take a generic BBQ sauce and add the simmered down ppear and any extra spices you like (chipotle, jalapeno, garlic, etc). You can also add the juice to your favorite IPA to make it a ppear IPA. If you like IPAs, you will love that! We add the juice to smoothies too.

here are some pics of some ribs with prickly pear bbq sauce from our recent campout

post-1-0-14059300-1475074600_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-56556600-1475074681_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

i put it on blueberry pancakes too it was legit af.

Run it through a still and it goes with everything... including poor choices...

i heard its good for margaritas too?

Who'da thought, trphyhntr is a regular Martha Stewart.

Pretty cool man.

yep, girls off backpage dont cook so i had to figure out how to do it myself.

even though I don't care for pancakes or ice cream that syrup sure looks good.

what!? you a communist?

• Like 1

i simmered this down with sugar and a little lemon juice. i like that BBQ sauce idea. i want to make more, this was kinda a test batch to see how it tasted and i love it.

• Like 1

i simmered this down with sugar and a little lemon juice. i like that BBQ sauce idea. i want to make more, this was kinda a test batch to see how it tasted and i love it.

How many pears did it take to make that size cup in your pic? Do you run the pears in a juicer?

How many pears did it take to make that size cup in your pic? Do you run the pears in a juicer?

I probably had 3lbs of over ripe pears. I boiled them, then I mashed them, then I strained it. That left me with 2.5 cups juice, then simmered it with equal amount of sugar. It was super clear I couldn't even see any pulp in it.

I thought I'd have thorns all over heck but it wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

I have picked them before and use a torch to burn off the thorns before handling. we picked them with tongs